Oxycheq Razor Wing - Any Issues with Durability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

realdiver7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just wondering if anyone has ever had any punctures, tears, wear, or other problems with the Oxycheq Razor wing since it is a bladderless, one-piece design. How durable is the one-piece design over a long period of time, say 10 or more years? I have heard they are very durable, but does anyone have any personal experience to back this up? I own the Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 30 lb. wing with an outer shell and inner bladder, and really like it.

Can you tell any difference at all in the water between an Oxycheq Mach V 30 lb. wing, and an Oxcheq Mach V Razor 18 lb. wing? Is the size and weight difference great enough to be significant when traveling or diving?

Bottom line...for warm water diving with steel 100 tanks and 3 mm wetsuit, would the 30 lb. two-piece, or the 18 lb. one-piece be the best all around choice when choosing only one of them to own?

Thanks.

My opinion only, get the 30 pound lift Mach V.

N

I'm an Oxycheq fan. All of my wings are Oxycheq. I don't have a Razor so can't speak from experience, but 10,000 razor swipes and no penetration seems pretty impressive.

For diving a steel tank, I would suggest #30 lift.

I own two Razors - an 18lb and a 30lb. Both have patches. Both are still in use. I have three other wings that are all older/have more use and are bladder/cover designs. None of them have ever had any problems. I will not buy another bladderless wing unless it is the only option (as was the case when I bought the 18lb one I have now - DSS didn't offer one yet and the Halcyon ones were all gone). I want to be clear that I am not in any way knocking Oxycheq's quality - it is just that a bladderless wing is less durable and I'd love to replace both of my Razors with Mach Vs, especially with the new design of the 18lber. It is just hard to justify since they are both still functional.

Jackie

Hoyden:
I own two Razors - an 18lb and a 30lb. Both have patches. Both are still in use. I have three other wings that are all older/have more use and are bladder/cover designs. None of them have ever had any problems. I will not buy another bladderless wing unless it is the only option (as was the case when I bought the 18lb one I have now - DSS didn't offer one yet and the Halcyon ones were all gone). I want to be clear that I am not in any way knocking Oxycheq's quality - it is just that a bladderless wing is less durable and I'd love to replace both of my Razors with Mach Vs, especially with the new design of the 18lber. It is just hard to justify since they are both still functional.

Jackie

Jackie...the newly designed 18 lb. Mach V Razor is also a bladderless design in case you weren't aware.

Everyone...thanks for the honest input so far. Please keep the replies coming.

realdiver7:
Jackie...the newly designed 18 lb. Mach V Razor is also a bladderless design in case you weren't aware.

I know, but it looks slick :) and doesn't need a STA so it'd be an even smaller package. I dive it at an aquarium with an AL63 and small is good.

Jackie

My experience with single layer wings has been very positive. I have been using a couple of these for 6 years or so and they are as good as the day I bought 'em. I think this type of wing is WAY under-rated.

Don't own a Razor wing, but I do own a Mach V 30# wing myself.... It is a great wing, very durable, and as Rob stated, it works really good with steel tanks... The quality of workmanship on Oxycheq wings are absolutely wonderful.

Randy

Back
Top Bottom