Oxycheq Mach V Extreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will probably be purchasing a streamlined single tank wing this year. I read about how thick the bladder is on the Mach V Extreme along with the armored outer fabric that is puncture and cut resistant. I could see this being a major plus on wreck dives where you have jagged rusty metal. Do you guys find the extreme to be very durable and worth the money?

If you guys have recommendations you think would be better, then I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Rec diver here. I got the 40# Mach V Extreme on sale from SCUBAToys. Great low profile single tank wing. I never really had a need, but my buddy got slammed into the cliffs by a rouge wave and holed his BC before. I have also seen them sold used on this board.

Single tank and wreck diving are not words I would put in the same sentence.

I have a Mach V 40lb to support my heavy tank. My gal uses a 30lb Mach V. One of my friends has the Extreme and it is a very nice wing, but don't think it is worth the price increase over the regular Mach V for open water diving.

Single tank and wreck diving are not words I would put in the same sentence.

I don't believe I said penetration diving. I am currently not certified for that. This wing will be used for freshwater and tropical diving. I guess you would say a multi-purpose wing until I am ready for doubles.

While it's an awesome wing, it's not worth the higher price. The standard MachV is plenty tough.

I had a standard Mach V 30-lb wing and loved it until it got punctured somehow :( . It dived great, very little drag in the water, but for durability I would recommend DSS, Hog, or Halcyon.

Peace,
Greg

While it's an awesome wing, it's not worth the higher price. The standard MachV is plenty tough.

I have the Extreme 40#. I have the Signature Series #55 for doubles and I love them both. They are both low profile and comfortable to dive.

I see no reason to spend the extra money either.

I have the Mach V 30 lb (regular not Ex) and it is all but unnoticeable under the water. However, the drain holes in the bottom of the cover are too small or not enough in number as it takes the cover too long to drain. I think a mesh at the bottom would be a better idea. I'm considering modifying it with a soldering iron.

c

I will probably be purchasing a streamlined single tank wing this year. I read about how thick the bladder is on the Mach V Extreme along with the armored outer fabric that is puncture and cut resistant. I could see this being a major plus on wreck dives where you have jagged rusty metal. Do you guys find the extreme to be very durable and worth the money?

If you guys have recommendations you think would be better, then I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.
Rust and metal aren't huge issues in diving, you'd cut yourself, hoses, suits, etc if it were. All wings I've seen fail are pinch flats, which any plastic bladder can get. I have the mach v 30lb and have not had any issues. For doubles, I got the Halcyon 55lb for the cloth bladder which isn't as easy to pinch flat.

I've torn two wings apart when wreck diving...a Halcyon Eclipse and an OMS. Both instances it was the stitching on the outer sides that got frayed. The actual material was fine, but the stitching unravelled after some slight abrasion.

I've not trialled an Oxycheq wing yet (I'd like to)... but any wing I buy now, I take a good look at whether the stitching is protected and whether it is located in likely abrasion/contact points.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom