Question Oxycheq 18# Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMurrr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had the lucky chance to happen upon a Oxycheq 18# wing for a reasonably good deal.

Unfortunately, it has a slow leak coming from the shoulder dump valve area. I'm pretty handy, what can I do / what parts are available to diagnose and repair the situation?

Thank you in advance

And yes, I know, I should take it in for service, only issue is the nearest Oxycheq dealer is much, much farther than I'd like to drive at this time.

Do you have a better idea where the leak actually is? I've replaced the threaded assembly successfully when it got buggered up.... If the bladder/flange is intact, you could be in good shape. Is the gasket missing? Is the elbow not threaded on properly? Is stuff cross threaded? Loose?

Start unscrewing things and report back with pictures and findings...

so the hope is you just need a new gasket but worst case is the flange is cracked at which point the age of the wing comes into play if the current bladder will fit it

Shoot. I may have screwed up. I unscrewed the shoulder elbow by hand with the intention of replacing it with a remote exhaust valve.

Google: oxycheq bladder flange tool
Googled. I found these and reasonably could have them 3D printed? I also will happily order the proper tool.
EDIT: or buy this on eBay: BCD BC Scuba Bladder OPV Flange Multi Spanner Wrench Tool Dive Rite Hollis OMS | eBay

Do you have a better idea where the leak actually is? I've replaced the threaded assembly successfully when it got buggered up.... If the bladder/flange is intact, you could be in good shape. Is the gasket missing? Is the elbow not threaded on properly? Is stuff cross threaded? Loose?

Start unscrewing things and report back with pictures and findings...
The leak is coming from here: also adding more pictures.
The threads don't look like they're in perfect condition, I wouldn't mind replacing plastic threaded parts just to be safe if I can find the right ones. I live close to DGX if that helps

Attachments

• IMG_3841.jpg
    IMG_3841.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3840.jpeg
    IMG_3840.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3835.jpeg
    IMG_3835.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3836.jpeg
    IMG_3836.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 42
so the hope is you just need a new gasket but worst case is the flange is cracked at which point the age of the wing comes into play if the current bladder will fit it
Is the flange replacable possibly? Or would it require an entire bladder replacement?
I have the SN of the wing, is there a way to determine age from that?

So I'm thinking of placing an order for the following:

Am I missing anything? Either tools or parts that I potentially could have to replace? I don't mind having spares around the garage in the event they're not used this time around.

Think you got it! I would look at the threads on the elbow retainer ring and evaluate it that might be a candidate to be replaced too...

It doesn't look horrible, might it be loose? Tools would tell you that...

The sealing washer can always be an interesting wild card. That thread I linked to discusses it to some degree, IIRC...

I'm somewhat concerned if it is bubbling outside the assembly, it might be bubbling where the flange is welded to the bladder...

Think you got it! I would look at the threads on the elbow retainer ring and evaluate it that might be a candidate to be replaced too...

It doesn't look horrible, might it be loose? Tools would tell you that...

The sealing washer can always be an interesting wild card. That thread I linked to discusses it to some degree, IIRC...
I do plan on replacing the elbow with a remote exhaust one - I think Dive Rite is compatible, correct?

Most likely, loose or cracked, I was using my hands before asking for help but I'm going to wait until I have the proper tooling to mess with it again.

sealing washer aka silicon gasket #7 linked above, right? - I don't think its this, I think its the flange from what I could see during the leak test in the pool

Back
Top Bottom