oxy cheq wing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jawbone

Reaction score
Having trouble trying to decide on 30 lb or 45 lb lift signature series single tank wing. On oxy cheq site it states 30# for warm to temprate water and 45# for cold water. It seems to me 45# would be alot of lift for a single tank. I dive a SS backplate with heavy STA(6lbs.) , E8-119 tank, trilam suit with polartec 300gr. undergarments. Was woundering if 30lb wing would work or if 45lb is necessary. Also most of my diving is in Northern Ohio and great lakes. Any suggestions or experience with the two wings in similar diving would be appreciated .
Thanks in Advance, Jason

I use a 30lb signature series with a drysuit - it provides enough lift.

You'll only need 5-6lb lift while diving to make up for the weight of air in the tank - and suit compression wont be an issue with your trilam (This assumes you are correctly weighted to be neutrally buoyant with an empty wing and an empty tank).

30 lb will also provide adequate lift on the surface after your dive if you dont inflate your drysuit (or if your suit floods with the 18-20lb or so you have on...) and will float the weights when you get out of your harness.

Use the 45 lb if you need more integrated weight that what you currently use to get neutral (in case your suit floods) or god forbid decide to start doing deep dives in a thick wetsuit. 45 lb also provides a nice amount of lift on the surface if the conditions are rough...

Just my 2 cents...
Cheers,
Rohan.

I dive in New England and I and many of my friends use a 45lb Oxycheq wing.....It is the perfect lift for cold water and keeps me above the waves..No worries ...It is the same trim as the 30 as well so don't think \you wil be outta trim with to much lift..

Yep, same here. Drysuit, steel tank, ss backplate, and 45# Oxycheq wing. :)

Danny D:
I dive in New England and I and many of my friends use a 45lb Oxycheq wing.....It is the perfect lift for cold water and keeps me above the waves..No worries ...It is the same trim as the 30 as well so don't think \you wil be outta trim with to much lift..

Is it true that the 45# wing is the same size and profile as the 30#.

In your case go for the 45. 30 Ibs lift is definitely not enough for us drysuit divers. I use the Halcyon Eclipse 40 Ibs myself, and since I'm still in my "old" 7 mm neoprene suit I have to wear some lead. The 40 Ibs is adequate, and I wouldn't want anything less. An extra 5 Ibs would actually be great in my case, but since I plan to get a tri-laminate (DUI or something like it) I feel the 40 will be my #1 choice over again.

I considered the Signature 45 strongly, but due to somewhat late delivery before an important dive trip, and that I managed to find a slightly used Eclipse 40, I ended up with the Eclipse. But I think the Signature 45 Ibs would be just as great a choice.

The "Standard" Oxycheq is another story...

Jawbone:
Is it true that the 45# wing is the same size and profile as the 30#.
ONLY if it's the Standard wings you're referring to. The Signature wings have the same profile, but the 45lb has slightly larger dimensions than the 30lb.

I went through the same thing a few months ago. I finally got the 45# Signature. I figure that the extra lift would not hurt. I really like it.

I also use a 30lb oxycheck signature series with a drysuit - it provides enough lift. I'm using a 100 cf E-series tank. Between my backplate and weight harness, the total is 25 pounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom