owning multiple computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The zoop does nitrox. As for the aqualung i think i will sell it. The consensus seems to be i dont need a 2nd and if i do it should be same make as my primary
Some of this is just repetition but...

If you don't need the extra money and have any interest in the aqualung as primary, then try it out. See if you like it better then the zoop. If not, then sell it. Unless...

If you want a backup computer and will commit to always diving with two, and it is a bit of a hassle, then keep both. If you do decide to keep them then the aqualung will likely need to be your backup and use the zoop as your primary and follow it for your NDL just as you do now. There is nothing wrong diving two computers with different algorithms but you got to know how to do it.

Don't worry doc im not bending anything
You might if you dive your two computers together. If you dive the aqualung as primary and follow it's NDL recommendations while stowing the zoop, on dive 2+ of the day, your backup zoop will likely go into deco and if stowed it may bend when you surface, all without your realizing it.

You might if you dive your two computers together. If you dive the aqualung as primary and follow it's NDL recommendations while stowing the zoop, on dive 2+ of the day, your backup zoop will likely go into deco and if stowed it may bend when you surface, all without your realizing it.

Assuming you have a good SAC rate and decent sized tanks. Most beginning divers I have seen are more often air limited than NDL limited.

BTW, any Shearwater computer has celebrated its 10 yr birthday yet?

I don't want to interrupt this thread, but, yes there are many, many Shearwater computers that are 10 years old. Although it depends on exactly what parts we have in stock, we can service almost every computer we have ever sold in the 13 years we have been making rebreather controllers and dive computers.

Bruce

So 13yrs is the oldest in the market ie 2004. Pretty young by any standard.
Cheers.
Actually, I would call some of our early products ancient. Virtually nothing in our current products from microprocessors to displays would have been available back then. It's actually quite hard to support our old products since many/most of the parts went end-of-life years ago. 14 years is a very long time in the electronics business, IMHO.

Actually, I would call some of our early products ancient. Virtually nothing in our current products from microprocessors to displays would have been available back then. It's actually quite hard to support our old products since many/most of the parts went end-of-life years ago. 14 years is a very long time in the electronics business, IMHO.

For a simple recreational warm water diver like me, what would Shearwater do better than my cheapy 6 years old SUUNTO D4?

How has yet another computer thread become focused on Shearwater? It doesn't feature in the original question!

And I am for using a back-up computer particularly given the OPs regular week long dive trips. I have seen many dives missed on expensive live-aboards all for the sake of a ~$200 back-up device. You can swap to other equipment between dives but not the computer as it has your residual nitrogen.

Dive the conservative zoop, as you are doing now.

My ancient 1997 Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox must be a collector item!!!

Back
Top Bottom