Ownership and lost computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I misplaced my computer for a little while and made me wonder.

This computer requires internet access to log the dives as well as get updates (not ideal but it is what it is). I also see "transfer ownership" option in there.

Is there a way to protect computer in case it gets stolen? I.e. becomes unusable or gives "new owner" info of the real owner and perhaps gets real owner ability to find it (i.e. web would log source IP of the computer it was connected from).

anything to that extent?

If you purchased/registered it as the original owner, it might be possible to alert your LDS or the manufacturer to put a 'flag' in their database, so that if it ever comes in for repair/service it would be flagged as stolen, but then what ? Is the dive shop/manufacturer really going to step in and confiscate it ? Chances are they aren't going to want to get involved in any of that.

Is the dive shop/manufacturer really going to step in and confiscate it ? Chances are they aren't going to want to get involved in any of that.

Happened to me, bought a reg/octo/guages/computer set from a pawn shop, took it to the LDS to have it serviced and they rang me to tell me that it was stolen from their rental fleet. Cops took my details and a statement that I got it from a pawn shop, took a copy of my pawn shop receipt and went to see the shop. They gave the police their details of the guy who pawned it and never redeemed it, cops arrested him for theft. I got a full refund from the pawn shop and the dive store got their rental reg back. Dunno what the pawn shop got, but the thief got a big fine I heard next time I was at the LDS.

Considering unit doesn't need battery change in like forever this flagging would not be practical. However unit practically forces internet access and this would be good way to block the computer and politely inform the "new owner" that it is bricked unless it returns it.

Back
Top Bottom