Owners of PST 120's - Love Them or Hate Them - Why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm curious since I own a bunch of PST's but none of them are 120's what you owners think of them. Since they are about 2.5" longer than the 130's that I own (and love) I'm wondering about the balance characteristics?

well, the length is a big part of why I chose the 120's. I just got into a bp/wing setup, and was using a p-weight. Was head heavy and really not having an easy time. My 120's came in. I removed teh p-weight, threw on the tank, and essentially was totally trimmed. For reference, I'm 6'3".

I love them.

overexposed2X:
I'm curious since I own a bunch of PST's but none of them are 120's what you owners think of them. Since they are about 2.5" longer than the 130's that I own (and love) I'm wondering about the balance characteristics?

I neither love nor hate my PST 120. It is a high pressure cylinder and most boats and some dive shops in the area only fill to a little over 3000, but not 3500. So while the tank is fine, I would not buy another. I much prefer the Faber 120's that fill to 3180. All the places I frequent can give me a full fill. With my PST only at 2800 - 3000 I don't have as much air as I think I do.

I just bought an E8-119. Use it with a BP/W. I have used it 3 days for beach diving. So far its been great! Trims out well. Allows me all the time I want - about 150 minutes of BT - without refilling for shallow dives.

Haven't taken it deep yet.

overexposed2X:

I have E-7 120s. I have been diving them for a year. When I first started using them, I had to contend with a problem of them orienting me too much head down.

I have remedied this by using an aluminum backplate and a six pount tail weight (I need six pounds anyway in addition to the aluminum BP) hanging from my bottom bolt to my doubles. I did have to move my wings up a notch on my backplate and make sure that I have my bands as high as possible on my tanks.

These things done, I am very happy in these tanks. I swear I can actually feel a difference in swimming them through the water (7.3 inches) versus low pressure, 8 inch tanks.

I love the PST 120s. I have logged 22 dives with them so far and they are worth the investment. I have dove them dry and wet and they are the best tanks I have ever used.

I really like how easy it makes getting my gear on and off. I'm 6'4" and I no longer have to scrunch down like I did with 80s and 95s. I trim out well in the water and haven't had any problem with diving them after I figured out how much weight I needed to wear with them - 8lbs wet and 24 dry.

.....I own a PST E8-130 and an E7-120 and enjoy both tanks.....I've found 1 advantage to the E7-120 to be it's the highest volume tank available with a 7.25" diameter.........even @ 'only' 3000 PSI it holds 105 cu. ft. of gas.

I'm doing 2 live aboard dive trips later this summer where the only tanks allowed are 7.25" in diameter, the same diameter as the 'standard' AL80........so even @ 3000 psi I'll have about 35 % more air than the AL 80 divers.

Karl

I had an older PST HP120 tank that I loved. Could easily get two good dives (up to an hour each) off of it. However after just 10 years it failed hydro, and failed it miserably (16% expansion).

I sure would like to replace it but hear a number of stories about problems at PST these days. Would settle for an E8 130 but availability at a "reasonable" (relative term) price just isn't there these days.

Doc

I own two PST HP120's.

I bought them when I first started diving.

When I'm diving singles, I enjoy them. They have decent capacity and I don't have any problems with buoyancy.

I borrowed a set of double PST HP120's. I hated them.

All that said, if I were buying singles today, I'd buy E8-130's.

I dove my new E7120 today and loved it, my other tanks are E7100s and the 120 balances the same, trim was good no changes to my gear were required. I dive with a 9lb SS BP and a 5lb STA, pioneer wing and DS. I am 5-11 230 the tank was great I have rented the older hp120s to try prior to buying mine last week. I wish Id have bought 120s the entire time instead of the 2 100s at first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom