OWC Skills in a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm, dont use doubles for your OW cert. Learn to dive, get comfy and then advance as your skills grow. You have plenty of time so drop a tank and use one instead of complicating things, you can still use your BP with a single.

Cart-Before-Horse.......is what's happening......

Loosening the shoulder straps would help you get into the rig. This would also allow the tanks to drop further down your back. Valve drills need to be performed in future dives, but now no. You can then tighten the crotch strap up so the waist harness forms a slight V. This will keep the rig down on your body and tighten the shoulder straps.

Most people should not be diving steel doubles without a drysuit as redundancy. They do make dual bladder wings though. Empty your BC and "try" to swim your tanks up when full. Probably pretty hard to do if not impossible to do when weighted properly.

FWIW I am starting my gal in a drysuit, full HOG system, long hose, etc, but in a single tank configuration. At 107 lbs she will be diving steel HP80's for a long time before/if ever she decides to dive doubles. We will introduce a can light very quickly once she is OWC. I have a couple HP100's if she ever needs bigger tanks.

Lynn(TS&M) is a small woman too, and has mentioned several times that she was never able to get 72s trimmed out. She solved the problem by moving to LP85s as I recall. I'd do the gear remove/replace in a single tank, and then forget about it.

Her 72s are not the typical LP72, 6.9" diameter tanks. That's why she doesn't like them, but likes LP85s. LP72s (the normal ones) and LP85s are very close in size and buoyancy characteristics.

To the OP: LP72s are excellent starter doubles, but I absolutely agree with the other posters that you should not be taking your PADI OW course in doubles. While your instructor is well intentioned, you would be far better served by doing the OW course in a single tank, then when you have some basic skills and confidence, start practicing with doubles.

Still, even in single tanks, getting in/out of a hogarthian harness at the surface is a little different than a typical jacket BC. I would not say its harder (actually easier once you get the hang of it) but different.

It's great that you're already thinking of technical diving, as I'm sure it will help to motivate you to get your skills beyond what's required for PADI OW certification, but you can do that in a single tank.

Most people should not be diving steel doubles without a drysuit as redundancy.

LP72s are different in this regard, as they are lighter than AL80s and neutral or slightly positive when empty. Anyone with reasonable swimming ability can swim them to the surface.

How about letting the rig float on the surface with the harness faced down into the water and then swim underneath the rig and slide your arms through the straps?

That's how I do it with my Halcyon rig but mine is not a double-tanks setup.

LP72s are different in this regard, as they are lighter than AL80s and neutral or slightly positive when empty. Anyone with reasonable swimming ability can swim them to the surface.
From your own post in another thread.
Is this what you're looking for?

72 cu ft Standard
Service pressure: 2250 psi
Working pressure: 2475 psi (2250 psi +10%)
Actual air capacity: 71.2 ft3 (at a working pressure of 2475 psi)
Outer diameter: 6.9 in
Length without valve: 25.1 in
Empty weight: 26 lbs (w/o valve)
Buoyancy Empty: 0 lbs (w/valve)
Buoyancy Full: -5.4 lbs (w/valve)

Capacity at:
2500 71.9
2600 74.7
2700 77.6
2800 80.5
2900 83.4
3000 86.3
So the tanks at the start of the dive are say -10 lbs. Plus dual regs, and a backplate. Then in cold water you need at least a 7mm wetsuit. Wetsuit compression could have up to a 14 lb buoyancy change. With a wing failure at the beginning of the dive it could be up to -24lbs. That is a lot of weight to swim up for most people.

From link below.
"However, when you look at the compression of that 7MM wetsuit on the descent to 21M (70 ft) you will see a buoyancy change of as much as 5 or 6 Kg (up to 14 lbs) possibly even more for a brand new suit. This makes the swim up at the beginning of the dive nearly impossible without being able to ditch weight. It also makes holding stops nearly impossible if you have ditched the weight as the buoyancy returns as you get nearer the surface.

Therefore for cold water dives, a drysuit is definitely preferable."

Here is a nice article on balancing a rig.

I have owned six LP72's, and never dove a single one. I hear they are nice tanks, and I have nothing against them. Wished I would have kept a nice hot dipped PST matched set I had. In other words, I have no clue how they actually dive. The numbers above are from the internet, since I was curious what the deal is. If I am missing something let me know.

So the tanks at the start of the dive are say -10 lbs. Plus dual regs, and a backplate. Then in cold water you need at least a 7mm wetsuit. Wetsuit compression could have up to a 14 lb buoyancy change. With a wing failure at the beginning of the dive it could be up to -24lbs. That is a lot of weight to swim up for most people.

If I am missing something let me know.

What you're missing is that the added weight to sink the wetsuit in cold water is (or should be) ditchable, and you'd probably want to use an AL plate. (I do with mine, anyhow) You'd never have to swim 24 lbs to the surface.

Double 72s are a tried and true vintage set up as well, sometimes used with no wing at all. They're just not that heavy. Mine are actually a little positive empty, so that my double set with manifold/bands/regs is probably just about neutral empty. I suspect most LP 72s are about the same.

Sheeeez... I wanted to be race car driver when I was young. Maybe I should've taken my drivers test in a Formula 1 car. I'm just sayin'...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom