OW to AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just signed my son up for his AOW he got his OW at 10 and loves to dive we dive locally. My wife and I took it on our AOW on our honeymoon right after our OW but we intended to continue diving even in the cold waters of Maine and now the cold waters of California.

I couldn't careless what others OW divers did or didn't. After my initial OW training I knew I wanted to progress further so I did two more overseas diving trips to practice my new learnt skill and knowledge before signing on for the AOW. And that was 1996 and I am still actively dive nowadays but less often.

I go through NAUI-- I got my OW cert in 2014 and this year got my Nitrox and AOW!!! My goal now is to DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!!! I may go for more certs at a later time, but I want to practice what I know now.

Being an older person yet a newbie, I have every intention of taking more advanced courses once I get certified OW. I have a whole list of specialty courses I want to take right after certification: photography, navigation, diver stress and rescue, react right, nitrox, perfect buoyancy, deep diving, etc. I feel the more I know the better a diver I will be.

If you find the right instructor(s) then taking all those additional courses will be great. However, we hear from many people just how deficient their AOW classes (and other classes) are. Newly certified students generally think their instructors are great and it sometimes takes a while for them to learn otherwise.

In any regard, after you get your OW Cert, don't overlook opportunities to dive with local, experienced divers who are willing to dive with you. Often, the type of people who will welcome newbies, are some of the best divers and you may learn a lot from them (without a wallet full of cards) and spending a lot of money. I'm not saying this is a better route than certifications, but it might be less expensive and more fun.

When I used to teach OW classes, I strongly encouraged my students to take an AOW class within the next month. It is important to continue diving right after certification or your newly acquired skills will degrade very rapidly and your competence will be quickly lost. If you can get 15 or 20 dives under your belt soon after certification - in a variety of conditions, your skills should be stronger and will not degrade so quickly.

Thank you for your post. I do like my instructor who is both PADI and SSI certified. The LDS I have is also very laid back and supportive. Being in New England I think my dive opportunities will be getting a little frozen over in December through March, but you never know! I am going to dive as long as my 7mm wetsuit allows me to. :)

Part of continued training can also be reading the many non-fiction scuba diving books and magazine stories, (and SCUBAboard) to learn from other people's experiences.

Thank you for your post. I do like my instructor who is both PADI and SSI certified. The LDS I have is also very laid back and supportive. Being in New England I think my dive opportunities will be getting a little frozen over in December through March, but you never know! I am going to dive as long as my 7mm wetsuit allows me to. :)
Dry suit course!

I got certified two weeks ago. I'm right against the end of the season for our local quarry so I'm planning on doing AOW next season before I go to Little Cayman next August. I really need to get more comfortable in the water, so I'm getting as many dives in as I can. I'm going to try to get down to Mermet over the winter, as well as a winter weekend Florida trip.

I got certified two weeks ago. I'm right against the end of the season for our local quarry so I'm planning on doing AOW next season before I go to Little Cayman next August. I really need to get more comfortable in the water, so I'm getting as many dives in as I can. I'm going to try to get down to Mermet over the winter, as well as a winter weekend Florida trip.
We should have an arfcom meet up at mermet or Bonne Terre

3317034368_50d2433fa0_m.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom