OW near CT in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexnewbie

Reaction score
I'm in my Open Water course, and I'm looking to get certified before a trip to Maui in May.

How far south would I have to go to get to a reasonable water temp for my OW certification dives in April?

It depends on what you are wearing for exposure protection.

If you are wearing a drysuit, you can dive year round in New England. If not (i.e. you are diving wet), I would think that April is still going to be a little chilly. I am not sure how far south you would have to go for the water to become tolerable and "tolerable" would once again depend on what kind of wetsuit you are wearing. 5mm? 7mm?

What kind of suit ya got?

The water up this way doesn't start warming up until late June.

Depending when you book your tickets you can get to south Florida from Laguardia airport for less than $200 round trip. Have you considered flying down to Florida to do your check out dives? Just find a dive op that works with the same agency you do your class work with and hand over the referral from your instructor. Water temps right now are in the low 70's but they should go up a bit by April.

Another possibility is doing the check out dives when you get to Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom