OW in PG - dive shop recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
After doing a couple dives in Korea, I've decided to spend my week vacation in Puerto Galera in April to get my OW certification. I'm thrilled. I'm on a fairly small budget and I'll be travelling alone. Don't need a crazy night life, so I'm leaning towards staying outside of Sabang. I'm looking for some recommendations about where to stay and get my OW. I've been looking at Action Divers and can't find much on them - do they have a good reputation? Any other recommended places?

Thanks!

i just got from PG in December. Action is in Small Laguana, thats practically Sabang, just on the quieter side. It just a short walk up the beach on a paved path. Little Laguana is a little quieter than Sabang. We walked into Sabang almost every night for dinner just a few minutes.

I don't have any experience with Action but i dove with AB Wonderdive. They are real nice people and good equipment. We stayed at the Out of the Blue. It's a little pricey but we had a fantastice suite with a full kitchen probably 1000sf for about $120 a night. If you can afford it, its probaby the best please in town.

El Galleon/Asia divers are right there. They are the northern most resort on Small Laguana right before the path to Sabang. They also get high marks.

PG is a great place to dive, lots of stuff to see and a great place to get your ow.
good luck
Ken

Zamac, as far as OW course is concerned, there are tons of good dive operations over there that will be happy to do it for you. You could easily just show up, walk around, talk to a few and see who suits your fancy (and budget). As far as recommendations, I personally know (and have worked with) two excelelnt instructors who work out of Captain Greggs: Mark Cox and Ethei Robrigado. I can recommend them eyes shut. :coffee: But still, if you want to shop around a bit and see who you feel comfortable with, definetly wait and see once you are there! You are sure to find some outfit that suits your needs! :coffee:

I dived with Action Divers in 2008 and 2009. A small run operation with mostly UK divemaster/guides. Their prices were good, rental equipment was just ok, the guys were super friendly and helpful. They have a lot of experience and often team up with another shop down in sabang. I would dive with them again without hesitation, the other divers I met seemed quite happy with them too.

After doing a couple dives in Korea, I've decided to spend my week vacation in Puerto Galera in April to get my OW certification. I'm thrilled. I'm on a fairly small budget and I'll be travelling alone. Don't need a crazy night life, so I'm leaning towards staying outside of Sabang. I'm looking for some recommendations about where to stay and get my OW. I've been looking at Action Divers and can't find much on them - do they have a good reputation? Any other recommended places?

Thanks!
Where to stay is not important as long as it is economical.
Big Apple with P500.00 fan room(off season) would be a good choice. While Peter Wilson(instructor) has been around yrs.
As far as I know Action Divers do not provide its own accommodation but Simon Birtle (instructor)is another long time resident.

I would recommend walking around and checking the vibe everywhere

captgreggs is def. top notch :)

@simon; is divedojo still closed? no new shop?

I dove with Mark at searider, it is next store to action divers. Action seems like a nice run operation, small. I like Searider as the prices are great and the place has everything I need, shower, rinse tanks, coffee/green tea, good dive briefings, speed boat, small groups, plce to hang your gears to dry, and friendly people. I will be diving again with them next week and will give a report. Oh, Mark is able to find accomadations in any price range you need. I stayed at the banana moon resort, close to Action diver and Searider, maybe 2 minute walk. Good luck to you.

I just got back from my third trip to PG, and again had a great time with Action Divers. I did my OW and AOW with Huw 3 years ago, and 2 other courses with Huw and Simon over the years, and can recommend them without hesitation. Both UK guys with a dry sense of humor, both very experienced and safe. Since I was always happy with Action Divers, I never bothered to check out the competition!

is divedojo still closed?

They were still closed at the start of Jan; don't think that's changed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom