OW course: Treading water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So had my first pool session today and failed the treading water part :shocked2: I'm reasonably fit, I can ride my bicycle for 15 miles nonstop and on the elliptical in the gym burning 600 cal/hr for an hr nonstop without issues. I can also hike nonstop for 5+ miles, so I am at a loss as to why I can't tread water for more than a few mins, perhaps my technique is all wrong and combined with some fear of drowning I think I am just not relaxing. I completed the swimming part fine but the instructor said I could repeat the treading exercise tommorow. More so I am just plain embarassed that I failed it :shakehead:

So question...what is the easiest way to tread water without much effort?

The point of this skill is to be able to keep your head above water for 10 minutes until a rescuer can reach you. It matters not how you do it... rather simply that you can do it.

In the real world, you will have a BCD (most likely) to keep you afloat... and even if you're just snorkeling, most likely at least a shorty wetsuit. In most cases you'll be in salt water. Any one of these things is enough to keep you afloat and any combination of them makes it near impossible to drown.

For the purpose of getting through the test using none of the above, use your own built in flotation device... your lungs.

The easiest way to pass the test is to combination tread / float... with the emphasis on floating.

Lay on your back and take in a deep breath. Your chest will rise up out of the water making it easy to keep your head above as well. Gently use your hands to keep your self in position by flapping like a bird or by using your arms and hands in a circular motion. Kick very gently with the feet. Most importantly - relax. Density sinks... and tense (denser) muscles will sink. Relax and slowly release the inhaled breath until you are just about delpleted of air... then take a quick deep breath again just before your head and chest sink beneath the surface. You will again rise up to the surface.

Repeat the quick deep inhalations and long slow exhalations all the while using your arms and feet. If you do it right, you'll not only stay there for 10 minutes... you will know that you could comfortably stay out in the ocean for hours or even days...

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom