OW cold issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a large cooler filled with hot water and with a lid. People put gloves, hoods, etc. in there between dives. Some take turns standing in it.

She's certifying through Seattle Scuba Schools and they don't offer the OW training in a dry suit. They don't let you rent dry suits unless you have taken a dry suit course.
Switch shops? My partner was certified in a drysuit or she would have never made it though the class due to the cold water. The drysuit has caused a steep learning curve, but being comfortable is very important. Why can't they offer a drysuit class at the same time? Money usually talks...

Lighthouse Diving offers certification for OW in a drysuit if she is into switching. Otherwise the part that really gets you is the surface interval and the second dive.

I got certified (in Seattle) in January and it was cold. I made it thorough the certs (OW and AOW) in a drysuit but I refused to dive again until I had saved up enough to buy a drysuit.

Warm water helps a bit (and removes some of the initial shock). Getting out of a wetsut is generally not worth it for a short surface interval but definitely unzip it halfway and then put on a coat over it with a hat or hood.

Stay out of the wind. If she doesn't care about getting her car wet. ..turn on the heat and spend the surface interval there.

Unless one has a natural layer of fat wetsuits and Puget Sound don't go together IMO.

Even though I was freezing it did keep my core warm. Try drinking a warm beverage and eating something (sandwich) during the surface interval so your (her) body will try to warm the body up.

Drinking something warm is a very good idea, however, eating something is exactly what you DON'T want to do. Because when you eat a solid food, your body has to use energy to break up that food and digest it. It pulls blood and therefore heat away from your heart, lungs, and extremities and it all goes to the stomach area to help digestion. So definitely drink something warm (quick and easy digestion) but don't eat anything that's more than a jello consistency.

I just certified at that shop last weekend (and it was an incredibly awesome experience in every way). It was about 55 degrees in the water, and I wasn't cold at all while moving around. The wetsuits had a 7mm overalls layer covering my full body, and then another 7mm step-in jacket. And a hood and gloves and boots. The only time it got a little cold was on the last dive waiting for skills, where I'd shiver a little bit but as soon as we got moving it wasn't a problem at all.

I was also worried about the temperature, but it turned out to be just fine.

When I got certified I did it in NJ in 55 degree water in a 3mm shorty.....very cold but doable :D

Just a quick note since I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Don't get "coffee hot" water to put in your wetsuit. I watched someone recently scald themselves doing this thinking the cold water in the suit would prevent it. They were wrong. Bring warm bath temp water to pour in your suit. Conversely, doubling up on wetsuits is certainly possible (and pouring between the suits prevent scalding). It's not as comfortable but it makes a huge difference. When I dive cold and wet, I always have a minimum of 2 layers and usually a third lightweight layer in the form of a hooded vest. Don't forget the hood, either.

My wife and I are certifying next weekend up at Sunrise on the Puget Sound. We are going up with Aqualung SolaFX one piece wet suits and Under Armour. My wife read someone's account of being very comfortable by wearing the Under Armour under their wet suit. So we are going to try that out and see how it goes. Good luck to your friend.

We train in water only slightly warmer here in Colorado, and students do fine in a 7 mil. She will realize more comfort if she wear boots and gloves and a hood as part of the exposure gear. There is nothing wrong with the dry suit option, if she has worked with it in the pool first. Also body mass is directly related to getting cold or at least how quickly someone gets cold. In cold water, bigger is better, but petite divers can stay warm too. I would add to what TSandM said, which was spot on, by saying that if it is a sunny day, stay in the sun between dives. But in addition, do get out of a wet wetsuit, at least to the waist, between dives, even if it is sunny.
DivemasterDennis

I understand that certifying agencies are trying to simplify things for new OW students, and not trying to task overload anyone, but drysuit training for cold water divers in the NE and West Coast should be standard training. Not many people stay in a wetsuit by choice. (Although I do know a few very stubborn divers)

Back
Top Bottom