OW cold issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand that certifying agencies are trying to simplify things for new OW students, and not trying to task overload anyone, but drysuit training for cold water divers in the NE and West Coast should be standard training. Not many people stay in a wetsuit by choice. (Although I do know a few very stubborn divers)

In Ak my shop treated Dry suit as part of the OW class and I did not know any better I thought that was they way cold water was done.. It was great I learned everything all at the same time and I did not have the added big step going from OW to ow with a drysuit. I was so surprised the first time I dove warm/ wet in FL I felt like I was forgetting something because I did not have enough gear to deal with . It was so freeing.

When I got certified I did it in NJ in 55 degree water in a 3mm shorty.....very cold but doable :D

Wow that's pretty hardcore there. I'm bundled in a 5ml jacket/Jane combo with a 5/3 hooded vest for those temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know anything at the time, and the shop didn't really tell me that I'd need something warmer...so I was young and went cheap with a 3mm shorty for like $70. During the dive I was freezing and my hands and legs where white...but after a while I just didn't notice it. Granted the dive was probably only 40min. long. I've also used that 3mm shorty here in wisconsin, but when I go below the first thermocline I'm not there for too long. My new 7mm bare sport is coming in tuesday and I just received my vest to go with it today. I've also got 7mm gloves coming in to go with my hood and boots. Finally, I'll be warm!!!! I'll be testing it all out in about 42F water next saturday :D

Drinking something warm is a very good idea, however, eating something is exactly what you DON'T want to do. Because when you eat a solid food, your body has to use energy to break up that food and digest it. It pulls blood and therefore heat away from your heart, lungs, and extremities and it all goes to the stomach area to help digestion. So definitely drink something warm (quick and easy digestion) but don't eat anything that's more than a jello consistency.

This actually isn't true. Digestion generates more heat than it loses, and warm food will warm the blood circulating in the stomach wall, too.

Just one more thought for the OP's friend -- I get terribly cold. I wear polarfleece-lined pants and a polarfleece vest to work in a 72 degree emergency department. I originally said there was NO WAY I was ever going to dive in Puget Sound, because the water was too darned cold. It's not true. It's quite possible to dive here and be quite comfortable for at least 45 minutes, even in the winter, and longer in summer. You need a dry suit, and you need appropriate undergarments, and you need to develop a strategy for "management of thermal units". But it's doable.

So if your friend does her cert dives and gets cold, tell her not to give up on the Sound. It's well worth the effort involved to dive here -- the life is amazing, and we have some of the best access to year-round diving of anywhere in the US.

I'm sorry, but it is true. I'm a certified personal trainer and nutritionist (aside from photography), and I have studied this quite extensively. If it were a hot food of like a jello (or similar) consistency then yes it would help. But otherwise stick with the hot liquids. Digestion does create heat in the stomach area, and will warm the body over time, but while initial digestion is going on, it does more harm then good. No offense TSandM.

I'm sorry, but it is true. I'm a certified personal trainer and nutritionist (aside from photography), and I have studied this quite extensively. If it were a hot food of like a jello (or similar) consistency then yes it would help. But otherwise stick with the hot liquids. Digestion does create heat in the stomach area, and will warm the body over time, but while initial digestion is going on, it does more harm then good. No offense TSandM.

So... personal trainer opinion vs. that of an M.D. ? Sorry, I'm with Lynne on this one.

My first year of diving, after my certification through Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, TX, was in Puget Sound. Being an intern and a young Captain in the Army, I didn't have the funds for a drysuit for my hubby and I. (ex-husband)
We dove wet with the 7 ml farmer John set-up the entire year at 47-50 degree waters. I loved it and don't remember ever being cold enough on two dive days to ever decide it wasn't worth diving. (except the day I forgot my thick gloves, dove with tropical gloves and couldn't feel my hands!) did quite a lot of dives, since renting gear from the base was cheap and shore diving fun and nearby. My favorite place was Octopus Hole, on the West side of the sound, north of Olympia.
At the time, I was pretty lean, taking the Army PT test regularly, so running and working out as much as possible, plus diving and riding horses, although as a medical intern, I was somewhat limited. I weighed about 118-120 at 61" but was very fit. Not a ton of body fat to keep me warm on a small body.
those farmer John wetsuits do a decent job, especially when the day is sunny and warm. My biggest problem was typically overheating on the surface during the summer dives. I actually preferred gearing up during the wintertime.
Good luck to her! I do know that I can hardly wait to go back to dive the Sound again, now that I finally have a drysuit!
i agree with TSandM on the warm food and drinks. Nothing like a thick, warm chowder to warm the core.

The heat you lose before the dive comes off the end of the last dive. Meaning that Lynne's post is spot on. She needs to keep her body temp up right until the last minute. IF that means a parka over the 7 mil those last few minutes so be it. And when she starts to get cold she needs to tell the instructor and end the dive. Toughing it out is not wise. Diving under the ice we get a lot of reminders about heat loss and staying warm between dives. For some people 50 degrees is like ice diving. Let no one tell you different. If it is too cold for her she needs to stop and find another way. Warmer climate, drysuit, whatever. There is no shame in knowing your limits and sticking to them. My GF will be diving dry tomorrow. Water will be cool but not cold. Air temp in the mid 80's. Yet she will stay fully zipped up in the drysuit on the SI's and maybe even sit directly in the sun. That is what she needs to do to stay warm. So she does it.

I like to refer to being colder on a second dive as your "resistance" being down. I have on occasion put down some plastic on the car driver's seat and sat in there with the heater on between dives. And I'm very good with cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom