OW Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loa92

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys (and gals)!

Just moved to San Diego, near Ocean Beach and Pacific Beach, from the cold waters of Michigan. I was originally looking for a SSI dive shop to finally get my OW Cert, but as I look around I notice that there is only two anywhere near me... The rest being PADI.

I was leaning towards Point Loma Sports Chalet, they seemed like nice folk, and have a pool on site.

Any suggestions for a LDS or specific instructor in the area?? Can't wait to dive in.

As a side note, I was looking for SSI as they were big in my part of Michigan. I've been in a few local shops since getting to San Diego to look around. I was left with a bad taste in my mouth when one dive shop told me that SSI was "too technical".

Hey guys (and gals)!

Just moved to San Diego, near Ocean Beach and Pacific Beach, from the cold waters of Michigan. I was originally looking for a SSI dive shop to finally get my OW Cert, but as I look around I notice that there is only two anywhere near me... The rest being PADI.

I was leaning towards Point Loma Sports Chalet, they seemed like nice folk, and have a pool on site.

Any suggestions for a LDS or specific instructor in the area?? Can't wait to dive in.

As a side note, I was looking for SSI as they were big in my part of Michigan. I've been in a few local shops since getting to San Diego to look around. I was left with a bad taste in my mouth when one dive shop told me that SSI was "too technical".

Here you go:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html

Terry

I'm sure a lot of people on here will agree with me but the most important thing in my opinion is your instructor. At OW level most of the class materials are about the same for all of the agencies. Find a good instructor and you will begin your adventure of a lifetime.

I was left with a bad taste in my mouth when one dive shop told me that SSI was "too technical".

That's one shop that you should stay away from.:wink:

I don't know any good shop in San Diego, but I'm sure that the San Diego divers would chime in soon enough. Personally, I am less than impressed by the typical Sport Chalet classes. They seem to rush the students through too quickly.

That's one shop that you should stay away from.:wink:

I don't know any good shop in San Diego, but I'm sure that the San Diego divers would chime in soon enough. Personally, I am less than impressed by the typical Sport Chalet classes. They seem to rush the students through too quickly.

Yeah, I left that shop in a hurry. :shakehead:

I drove up to San Diego Underwater Adventures SDUA, just to find out later on the forums that they went out of business. Their web site/business looked promising.

Thanks for the input on Sports Chalet. If any other locals have specific suggestions, that would be great!

Jesse certified my daughter for open water back in June. I'd recommend him. He does small class size or one-to-one at a very good price.

Call or text jesse at 619-850-5752 or email jesse@sandiegoscubacenter.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom