OW backplate/wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merkin

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm about to buy backplate and wings. Would appreciate some help on deciding what to get?

Background: I dive in the ocean (S. FL) with a jacket BC, 3mm wetsuit and AL-80 with 18lbs. My plan is to dive single tank for 6 months, take the DIR-F class, assimilate and then move into cavern/cave diving in N. Florida region with a 7mm wetsuit (with doubles). (I'm buying the 7' hose etc soon too)

Originally I was heading for Diverite Rek wings with a SS backplate, but no-one seems to recommend this configuration on this board. Should I get a wing specifically for single tanks then buy a different wing with the same BP and harness if I eventually switch to doubles? Is SS too much weight? How much positive buoyancy do you eliminate just by switching from a BC to the BP/wings configuration?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I think I remember from some trivia game that the definition of 'merkin' is pretty funny....

(oh yeah, BP/Ws...uhhh... there's several threads on this forum about them. Most people seemed to like Halcyon wings, FredT or Halcyon plates...or something like that).

Yes, cyclon, merkin is a very funny name - that's why I chose it. Kudos as you're the first person in years to catch-on. You didn't really answer my question though...

I would suggest getting a Halcyon Pioneer 27lbs Package. You get a SS backplate with all the hardware pre-assembled, a 27lbs wing and a storage pack. Cost is $505.00. I just ordered one this week after trying out a friends. (Already had a FredT plate...might sell it if your interested) It' is an extremely well made piece of equiptment. If you get the package, you don't have to go around hunting for the pieces you need. The Halcyon Pioneer setup is great.

Yes, you do need a single tank wing and a separate wing for doubles. I tried using a 55lbs wing for singles, and it just does not work. Get the right size and you won't have any air trapping problems. Buy the right tool for the job, don't be fooled into thinking that a 55lbs wing will do everything.

You can just get one SS backplate and two bladders. That way, you'll have a very versitile setup that will do singles or doubles.

The backplate weights 5-6lbs, so that's 5-6lbs less that you have to wear on your belt. Having the weight evenly distributed across your back seems to reduce the amount of weight you need too. I'm thinking that you are a bit overweighted anyway.

If you are going to dive steel doubles in the future you will want an AL plate. The steel tanks give you all the weight you need. With a single the SS plate will work great. So you can either get two plates or use wieghts with the single.

The wings seem to have already been covered.

Enjoy the rig and dive safe.

Chad

Thanks, I'm 98% stroke so I probably am overweighted, but I'm also a 6'4" 210 lb ectomorph that displaces a lot of water + there's the $h1ty rental gear. I always figured it would be safer to be overweighted in OW given that gear situation. I'm confident it will come down when I own my own gear and get some practice in.

What's the deal with these Fred T backplates and what's the web address?

Someone told me Steel tanks give you slightly more air but lead to more work and thus air consumption, so you're just as well off with double Al-tanks (and hence SS backplate) - B.S?

Fred is on the board as FredT you can Pm him and he will send you the specs and price list.

Chad

FredT is a guy here on ScubaBoard that makes custom dive gear. He makes a really nice backplate and single tank adaptor. They are pretty nice. His email address is: ftagge@goldinc.com

I don't remember what the URL for his page is, but you can do a search for "FredT" and probably find it.

Yes, it might be, but why would the english language need such a word, I don't know...

Back
Top Bottom