OW/AOW destination recommendation: Aruba /Punta Cana /Cancun/Montego Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I would not go with Red Sail.

Why not??? I'm booked with them for a couple of weeks from now. They are the resident operator at the Westin. That was a lot of the reason I booked with them. Since my wife will not be diving with me the simple logistics will be helpful.

Why not??? I'm booked with them for a couple of weeks from now. They are the resident operator at the Westin. That was a lot of the reason I booked with them. Since my wife will not be diving with me the simple logistics will be helpful.

Red Sail is a large dive op, but they have big boats so I don't think it will be a problem. They are a well-known op with a good reputation but some folks just prefer a smaller dive op. They will usually give you a free Sunset Sail excursion if you dive with them which would be pleasant for you and your wife.

I'm sure you will be fine, just not the operator for me, I have a few more dives than you

oddly afaik Provo is not a direct flight from the DC aea.

I'm surprised too, assumed it was. I would go to Grand Cayman, excellent diving, great fun for the nondiver. If price is not that important, stay at one of the major hotels. The Westin Casuarina is said to be very nice. The lead concierge, Penny Williams, is fantastic. There would be pickup by all major operations. Personally, I would not go with Red Sail.

We enjoyed our trips to Provo but we found the liveaboard diving better than the shore-based diving, and there were long boat rides. You can spend much of the day in a boat to do land-based dives, which probably won't work well for the OP because he is traveling with a non-diving spouse.

Grand Cayman ticks a lot of items on your list but there are no big all-inclusive resorts on the island. Cobalt Coast is a small, diver-dedicated resort with Reef Divers onsite. Cobalt Coast offers unlimited shore diving on the house reef when you are staying there and diving with them - but that end of the island is likely to get windy in November - you may not be able to shore dive with them but the boat diving will be fine.

There are a few other places with onsite dive ops, like Lighthouse Point condos with DiveTech onsite. Most folks stay in condos and prepare one or two simple meals per day and then go out for one main meal per day. There are many good restaurants, dining options, and modern grocery stores on GC - that's probably why they don't have a big all-inclusive resort - they don't really need one. People like to get out and explore and the island is safe and you don't have to worry about eating the food or drinking the water.

A lot depends on your budget and the other kinds of things that you like to do on vacation. Is this mostly a dive vacation or a tropical vacation with some diving? If you want only direct flights during the holiday week then GC may work for you, but not if you want a mega all-inclusive resort.

BTW, all 3 of the Clearly Cayman all-inclusive dive resorts are offering a Holiday Travel Special that includes the dates for Thanksgiving Week, see the link below.

The Cobalt Coast resort is on Grand Cayman and their other 2 resorts are on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. It is only a short flight (15-30 minutes) from Grand Cayman to the Sister Islands of Brac and Little Cayman. Reef Divers is the onsite dive op at all 3 resorts.

Clearly Cayman

I'm sure you will be fine, just not the operator for me, I have a few more dives than you
BTW...my "winter self" has as many, if not more, "dives" as you do, so maybe I understand? Do you not like them because there are too many of "me" on their dives?

Thanks all for the great info here!

Unfortunately, there's no direct flight from DC area to GCM on our travel dates (Nov 27- Dec 1).

And this is a family vacation with mostly non-divers, so we don't get to pick just the best destination for diving, but my husband and I would definitely like to plan a trip there ourselves sometime.

Thanks all for the great info here!

Unfortunately, there's no direct flight from DC area to GCM on our travel dates (Nov 27- Dec 1).

And this is a family vacation with mostly non-divers, so we don't get to pick just the best destination for diving, but my husband and I would definitely like to plan a trip there ourselves sometime.
So, Negril is, IMHO, vastly superior to Mobay. Couples was recommended, but your niece was noted as a possible problem - that's true. There are many different AI options on Jamaica, but Couples might be problematic. That said, Jamaica is great, the people are great, and with AI the diving is included. There are great beginner dives in Negril, so definitely put it on your list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom