Question Overwhelmed by choice of diving operators—any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a great experience with Tres Pelicanos- they are a very reputable and popular operation. You could walk to their shop in the morning, they cover your cab fare to the marina, and back after your dives.

I have to admit, I was jealous of the other divers staying at Casa Mexicana who walked out the front door and rolled onto the Aldora boats across the street as I was heading to the shop in the morning to cram into a cab.

I'm thinking about having mine surgically implanted.
I have heard of phones being implanted in the rectum.

1641934093444.png

I live in Centro and Living Underwater picks me up downtown at the Aqua Safari pier. There are really only a handful of ops that pick up in town, so that should narrow down your options considerably. It makes for a short walk. If you opt to go to the marina however, be forewarned that the trip back can be a real nosebleed when there are gazillions of cruise ship passengers in (and roughly the same number of taxis). The island road wasn't built for that level of traffic.

There will beat least 101 ops who meet the limited requirements you posted. My personal experience has been enjoyable with tres pelicanos and Punta sur divers. Both offer different styles of diving. Both smaller groups, both great service, both safety minded. 3ps is in town as stated and covers cabs to and from marina, Punta sur will pick up at pier in town. Punta sur provides lunch and is more of a leisurely pace and more concierge style. 3ps gets me 4 dives everyday (as long as there are enough for afternoon boat, normally is) and I would and will dive with both again. Enjoyed the night dives with Punta sur more, that hot chocolate after the dive hit the spot.

One thing to keep in mind is that the dive is the thing; many of the differences people twist in the wind when debating the differences between dive ops is just about the boat ride. Once you get in the water most of those differences become irrelevant.

I'll add another vote for 3P.

I was 'forced' to find an operator after Blue XT Sea went belly up, and I must say I'm happy where I landed.

I stay on Calle 2 Norte, so it's a nice short walk to get to the shop. Once there they handle the transportation to and from the marina, which is nice. They also handle your gear, picking it up the day you arrive, and dropping you off with your gear on your last day, which makes diving all the more enjoyable. As far as their boats, they have small, fast boats... so you're on the reef quick, and back to the marina after the dives without wasting time putting along. Discussing their staff, they're easy going, aggregable, friendly, ect...

Lastly, I'm very happy that they don't force their entire group to surface if someone runs low on air. On occasion I'd go deeper then the 'main group' and I'd be low first, other times I'd stay with the group, or take a higher line on the wall and I'd be up last, but no matter what way it went the divers were allowed to dive their tank, and were NOT limited by the rest of their party...

With all that, I bet if you pick an operator who's been in business for awhile you'll likely be happy... there's so much competition in Cozumel if you're not doing things right, people will naturally gravitate away from business, and you'll go the way of the Dodo Bird.

One thing to keep in mind is that the dive is the thing; many of the differences people twist in the wind when debating the differences between dive ops is just about the boat ride. Once you get in the water most of those differences become irrelevant.
:bounce:
Absolutely

True a boat ride is a big part of it and my favorite boats would be the Skinny Shark, Loan Shark or from a few years back when I dove off it, the Chiquimax.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom