Overpressurizing / Overfilling steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of PST's new tanks are rated to 3442 psi, more or less doing away with the "LP/HP" argument and replacing it with the "longer/shorter" argument.

JoelW:
"I've never had a scientist or an engineer tell me that if I release a weight belt above my foot it will fall and hurt my foot (I guess I'd need a doctor to tell me that, wouldn't I?). So next time I'm thinking of letting go of my weight belt above my foot I can assume that'll hang in mid-air, correct?

Roak"

Roakey,

You can now say that you have had an engineer tell you that if you release a weight belt above your foot it will fall and with high probability hurt your foot. At the very least you will do the silly dance to avoid hitting yourself. Any sufficiently heavy object falling fulfills the specifications for initiation of the silly dance.

JoelW

Well you have to be careful because you did not give parameters. If I drop my weight belw with 10lbs of soft shot weight from the resonable height of 3ft it probably will not result in a high probability hurt your foot.

:)

I guess I will speak off the record... Sort of... I was the operations manager for OMS for 2 years and than went over to Abyss Dive Systems to work.. On the record these cylinders folks are the same as the folks in Europe and the rest of the world use all day long and fill to 4000 psi!! The Faber's could be filled but with the U.S. regulations in place Faber had to put it down to what our goverment deemed safe based on their testing...

That being said any shop that exceeds those numbers and as any accident will most likely not get any insurance coverage for damage or death of someone.. Even with brust disks and all else things could go bad.. You just never know.. So the shop and the person filling your cylinder need to consider the legal side of filling the cylinder..

On the good side I have never heard or heard ANY reports of a steel cylinder injurying a person from filling them.. And yes I would have known it happen...

So relax and go dive and yes get your cylinder filled to the correct psi.. After all big brother is always watching.. I can't wait for your response on this... I'm sitting and ready

Randy

This post is NOT intended to start a war so PLEASE DON'T!!!
If you don't have an answer to the specific questions below, please don't reply.

All I want to know is wheather the guys/gals that overfill steel tanks do so with the older steel 72's or only with the newer low pressure tanks. If you overfill the older tanks, what pressure do you fill to?

Thanks

James

Whitelightnin:
This post is NOT intended to start a war so PLEASE DON'T!!!
If you don't have an answer to the specific questions below, please don't reply.

All I want to know is wheather the guys/gals that overfill steel tanks do so with the older steel 72's or only with the newer low pressure tanks. If you overfill the older tanks, what pressure do you fill to?

Thanks

James

I don't ever over fill them (well maybe 2500) but I have seen plenty of blown up steel tanks on display at dive stores. I have a pair of steels here, one was built 1960. I'm still using it (with caution) on occasion. I think you're taking a big chance with your life for a few extra cf of gas. Buy the new LP tanks they are made from 4130 Chrome Moly steel which is much stronger than mild steel used in the old-school tanks.

The life you save might be mine :eyebrow:

cheers,

I do not overfill older steel 72's.

I have NEVER heard of a steel tank blowing up. Aluminum yes, but not steel. Here in Florida, we have dive shops on just about every corner.

I have HP120's and LP120's. I fill the HP's to 4000 and the LP's to 3500. Every single person I know in the spearfishing world does the exact same thing. These tanks are rated for it in Europe, did they lose strength riding on the ship over????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom