Overdue hydros?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
What law prevents a shop from filling them?

you will find that in Canada that the Canadian Transport Commission has fairly stringent laws regarding the filling and transportation of pressurized containers,

As does the American Department of Transport, and Deuches Inudustrie Norm in Germany.

There should be equivalencies between the various certification agencies just as there are in C-cards, you would have to check with your local authority to find them.

cancun mark:
you will find that in Canada that the Canadian Transport Commission has fairly stringent laws regarding the filling and transportation of pressurized containers,

As does the American Department of Transport, and Deuches Inudustrie Norm in Germany.

There should be equivalencies between the various certification agencies just as there are in C-cards, you would have to check with your local authority to find them.

My point is that none of those laws prevent me from filling my out of hydro tanks should I be foolish enough to do so. They just prevent me from transporting them.

Yes, and when DOT says "transport", they mean commercially. So you can even haul them around in your minivan as long as you aren't paid to do so.

Transport Canada's TDG regs cover any transportable container used to carry dangerous goods, commercial or private.

I wouldn't worry about them. I just bought a tank that was sitting in someone's garage. The last hydro was in '92, but it had about 400 psi in it. For $37 I had it vis and hydro'd. I only paid $15 for the tank - so I got a perfectly fine tank for $52.

Piont being - the tank was 7 years out of hydro and I had no issues. So long as they have been stored properly.

KLRico:
Hey everyone, I'm new to this board. I live in Germany right now (US Air Force). I used to live in So. California and did quite a bit of diving there. Unfortunately I haven't been able to dive for a year and a half. Meanwhile my tanks are coming due for their Hydros.

Is it ok for tanks to go over their hydrostatic dates provided it's done before they're filled to service pressure again? (They've been stored with about 500 PSI since I've moved.)

Thanks in advance,
Rico

As you were able to figure out, your tanks will be just fine sitting there out of date. No hydro police will come knocking. :wink:
Apples & oranges...
The hydro laws/ regs are different between Canada & the US.
"Technically" in the US tanks don't even need to be hydroed unless used in commercial commerce.
I can walk out in my shop & weld up a 3000 psi tank out of pipe & endcaps right now & it's perfectly legal for me to do so & use it. :D

Thanks for all the quick replies guys. I sort of figured they SHOULD be good going over the dates. But I wouldn't have been suprised to find that if they "expire" they're assumed bad.... I worked at a dive shop for a few months many years ago, and forgot the little details about that sort of stuff.

With any luck I'll find some place around here to do a little diving some time soon. I'm getting an itch to get wet. For some reason lake diving sort of creeps me out. I'm not to sure why though...

Back
Top Bottom