over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think it is funny that while scubapolly took the time to embolden words thought critical to him/her that the phrase from my post like the very first, 'the instructor NEVER did a weight check' was not thought important enough to include as emboldened. Priorities? Isn't that what this thread is about? Being overweighted? And someone dying because of it?

CardiacKate:
I have 27 years experience as ER R.N. .....don't understand how paramedics are allowed to call "time of death" and not transport a patient to an Emergency Dept. where a medical doctor determines TOD. Everywhere I worked EMS had to transport a patient using full code procedures until a certified ER doc would make the call to stop.

Protocols vary from state to state and within the states. I work in Albany, NY. We have to contact online medical control to call a code unless there are obvious signs of death, such as rigor, obvious lividity, or injuries incompatible with life. We might call a code at the scene after consulting medical control for an asystolic patient with no response to ACLS or a death that the patient and family wished treated as a Do Not Resuscitate but lacked the proper paperwork.

CardiacKate:
What is worrisome to me is Monroe County EMS personnel declaring the patient dead on the shore before transporting to an Emergency Dept. for a physician to make the call.

I wasn't there and I'm just a FF, not a medic, but: Assuming that the procedure down there is somewhat similar to the way it works up here, such a scenario would only occur after an advanced paramedic has run the full gamut of his resuscitation protocol (prolonged asystole with no response to multiple series of drugs, etc. etc. etc.) AND following radio or telephone consultation with the base physician.

Rescue personel being the type of people that they are, presented with a fresh victim in the prime of life, a witnessed arrest and immediate CPR, they undoubtedly worked very hard to the best of their training, skill and equipment before very reluctantly making the call.

That is the sort of call that goes home with you.

First of all, my husband knew this woman since they were kids. They haven't spoken in years, but my husband is great friends with this woman's cousin. She has been a diver for years.

Secondly, how rude of anyone to say anything about the "kind" of mother she is. That is the most absurd thing I have heard. Anyone can panic. It happens. Let's not start to assume you know anything about her or her parenting skills.

Ever read "The Last Dive"? They were experienced divers and made a stupid mistake...one that cost them their lives.

gfiseb:
Secondly, how rude of anyone to say anything about the "kind" of mother she is.

I've been following this thread and don't know where you saw anyone being critical of this....

scubapolly:
My issues with this whole thing is the kids. If the current was strong, what mother, DM or boat captain would let a 10 and a 13 year old dive.

Without knowing this woman's certification, this also goes along with my dislike for the way we allow parents with any training level, or expeience dive with their children who have Jr Certs.

This entire post is sad...

dumpsterDiver:
Yeah the simple fact that they allowed children to dive with their parents on a 25-ft deep dive shows that all parties involved were negligent.:shakehead

Again, sad. To say a parent would intentionally put their children or themselves at risk is absurd. I know diving is always a risk, but she had her kids on vacation, this is what all involved wanted to do, which they had done plenty of times before. I don't understand what is negligent about it.

gfiseb: i think that dumpsterdiver was being sarcastic: he regularly dives with his son, who's 12 if i remember correctly. There was a long thread in which some were critical of his choices in diving with his son in 80 ft...can't find the thread now

gfiseb:
Again, sad. To say a parent would intentionally put their children or themselves at risk is absurd. I know diving is always a risk, but she had her kids on vacation, this is what all involved wanted to do, which they had done plenty of times before. I don't understand what is negligent about it.

It was the ages people were concerned about, 10 & 13. If you read further, the age is clarified later on.

Though it doesn't seem to have been a factor in this case, many parents unknowingly put themselves and their children at risk. There is further discussion on this if you look here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=194999

The point with discussions like these, is to get people to think things through on many different levels. Tragedies, like this one, can and do assist others who may find themselves in similar situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom