Over the head donning of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are too many risks with todays more complicated gear. No longer a good idea and you will see only a specific dive personality still using that method.

With the exception of the long hose, my gear is no more complicated than it was in 1978. Tank, first stage, second stage, secondary second stage, pressure gauge, BP/W. Nothing more, nothing less.

What complications are you referring to?

24940, you don't use a BC?

So today we have BC's, spare air, dive computers, depth gage, safety sausage, dive rattles, whistles, knives, larger volume tanks, doubles, etc. Today's gear is more complicated, and it's only common sense.

Then we add the risk of a small injury (pulled muscle, gauge hits you in the eye, etc.) that causes you to fall, hit your head and go in the water. It is an activity that offers no benefits and high risks. And if you need help with your gear, just ask your buddy.

:)

So today we have BC's, spare air, dive computers, depth gage, safety sausage, dive rattles, whistles, knives, larger volume tanks, doubles, etc. Today's gear is more complicated, and it's only common sense.

Then we add the risk of a small injury (pulled muscle, gauge hits you in the eye, etc.) that causes you to fall, hit your head and go in the water. It is an activity that offers no benefits and high risks. And if you need help with your gear, just ask your buddy.

I do not don my tank over head out of the water, I use my buddy and then I help my buddy. But I think that the reasons that you cite are a bit strange. The gear that many of us use today is no more complex than it was. Many of the things that you list I neither use nor recommend, the rest either replace an item I used to use, or go in a pocket or pouch. I hardly see the possibility of a "small injury" that stems from a lack of physical condition or careful application of skill, as a "high risk."

There are too many risks with todays more complicated gear. No longer a good idea and you will see only a specific dive personality still using that method.

I guess that would be me..... the "specific dive personality" I mean :D

I'm surprised the "traction" this thread has. I guess due to the strong opinions pro and con. Let me speak for the "middle ground" as someone who "somtimes" dons overhead (for shore dives): It's just a technique, like many others, that is just as safe or "risky" as the operator makes it. Divers who have hurt or nearly hurt themselves or others while using the technique had problems other than the overhead don technique. They lacked common sense, situational awareness, the proper technique, or all of the above. It is just a technique, and one that certainly is not always appropriate, just like many other techiniques in diving.

I dive a mask, tank with a j-valve and webbed harness, no BC, weight belt, huge knife, depth gauge and watch. The only way I am going to get my eye poked, get hit on the head and go overboard is if I am diving with with Moe, Larry and Curley.

The only way I am going to get my eye poked, get hit on the head and go overboard is if I am diving with with Moe, Larry and Curley.

I think I might have run into them on a few dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom