Over the head donning of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the deck our nomal procedure is to pick up our cylider(s), hand them to out buddy and then don the gear with assistance. Once the rig is on we reverse the roles and return the favor.

We teach overhead donning (which is very easy with a BP/W if you're careful with the crotch strap) for use in the water, where that is our normal procedure. In the water you can duck under the cylinder(s) rather than have to lift it over your head.

I think overhead donning is the last bastion of male ego. When I was first certified, that is how my instructor showed us. He also said, “If you can not do this, you are not fit enough to dive with me.” Of course, it is now considered too dangerous for all around to see the 50 lbs of flying gear pass through the air, especially on the pitching deck of a crowded dive boat.

On the deck our nomal procedure is to pick up our cylider(s), hand them to out buddy and then don the gear with assistance. Once the rig is on we reverse the roles and return the favor.
We teach overhead donning (which is very easy with a BP/W if you're careful with the crotch strap) for use in the water, where that is our normal procedure. In the water you can duck under the cylinder(s) rather than have to lift it over your head.

Exactly, same here.

Maybe the head of the guy behind you, but not your own head.
Exactly why I don't think donning over the head is a very good idea. I had the living daylights kicked out of me by someone that saved me from getting my head cracked open by a boat's DM that was trying to impress some ladies by donning his rig over his head. I was behind the DM bending down to assemble my gear and fortunately another diver saw that my head was soon going to try and occupy the same place as the DM's cylinder and all he had time to do was kick me out of the way.

By the time I got off the deck back and on my feet (assisted by the guy that had kicked me -- him apologizing up and down the entire time) I had figured out what had happened. The DM, weighing the importance of customer relations versus impressing the chicks just laughed at the near-hospitalization of a client and made no attempt to apologize.

If you can’t tell, that still irks me.

Now IN the water, over the head donning works great -- you can do it slowly and carefuly with you moving just about as much as the rig itself.

Out of the water it's simply unecessary risk -- to you as well as others. Help your buddy gear up and have them help you.

Roak

Is there any agency that actually teaches over the head donning of gear? [snip] I understand PADI does not approve of this and I was wondering what the origins are of this method and is it still being taught by any agencies.
It is not even mentioned in current SSI training materials (open water through instructor). But as to origins, I have a copy of The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving (sixth edition, 1985) which teaches the method in great detail, underwater while seated, as part of the doff/don drill. It predates BCs, as others have said, which made it much easier. The illustrations show no snorkel, as well, which in my experience is the most common hang-up.

I find the in-water on-the-surface version is relatively safe and I show it to the more athletic of my private students (most recently an Army Ranger on leave from his WMD inspection team duties).

-Bryan

I was taught overhead donning as an alternate method back in 1976. Never on a crowded boat (for the exact reason Roakey describes above!!).

On shore dives with lots of room to gear up, and provided you don't "fling" the tank, sure. That's often how I'll put my gear on (single AL80). But only do it that way if you have the upper-body strength to control the tank as you bring it up and over: It should move slowly, and just slide down your back, not swing in an wild arc. I've seen divers do the up & over macho fling, and that's not what I'm talking about.

Safe Donning (errrr, Diving!)

I have used the overhead method a number of times. I dont think it should be used in an area that is filled with a lot of people but sometimes I have actually dropped my gear minus mask snorkel and fin's of course in the water and donned my bc with the overhead method and found it very easy and useful.

I watched a video where George Irvine dons his bp/w with the over-the-head method and was quite impressed and a bit shocked. If I tried to do that, I'd probably decapitate or crush myself. The weight of my gear is nearly 50% of my body weight....I think that method would be a recipe for disaster. I much prefer having my buddy help me out or setting it on the bumper of the truck.

This explains what may have happened to his brain. I was wondering all along.:eyebrow:

I learned the overhead method ...awhile ago... as the only method to use underwater if you wanted to breath off your two hose regulator while doffing or donning. The hoses were a little short for donning jacket style (one arm at a time).

Back
Top Bottom