Over the head donning of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what it would get ya, but you may try doing a search or googling donning SCBA's. This is typically how firefighters routinely put their packs on. In the meantime, I'll try to see what I can find for ya. A quick search turned up a clip of what looks like a volunteer group doing some 160 training. Here a FF shows how to don a pack in 40 seconds.

And here is one more done in a lil more controlled setting.

Different packs, different gear, however the motions are nearly identical.

Kenny

Wow, thanks. The fireman definitely makes it look easy.The SCBA pac looks lighter and less complicated (no hoses) than a BC with tank and reg. I wouldn't try flipping an al80 over my head, (much less the steel 98 I usually use). I don't want to get a second stage in my teeth.
Steve

I have a buddy who still does this but he dives 80 tanks and weighs over 260 lbs. It is unnecessarily dangerous on a boat and can endanger people behind the diver.

If I am solo diving with just an 80, I still might do the overhead toss as long as nobody is around me, but not on a small boat.

Firefighters mainly use carbon composite tanks that weigh next to nothing. Wimps!

On another note, I've used the over the head method more in practice than actual application. I have the strength to control the entire rig from start to finish, but that didn't stop the wing nut that bolts my STA to the plate from digging a nice gouge in the back of my skull. I haven't used that method since.

I would have to admit using it with a plate could be asking for trouble if you let is slide down the back. Ouch! I havent used a poodle jacket in years with the exception of a cpl dives in Belize - and that was even a transpack come to think of it. Lol. There, our boats were so small it was hard enough just to not fall out of while getting in our gear. Fun never the less.

I would agree that the over the head method is asking for trouble on boats. Simply not worth the risk when you have that many divers around ya who could assist you. However, back -n- the day as I say, when I suited up on land, I preferred not to bother those around me when I could just lift it myself. Typically I would just kneel down, pick it up slowly over my head and let it slide down my back. Nothing fast, mancho, egoistic about it. It works, so I done it! I could give a hoot if any dive organization taught it or not.

I wish I could do the double 108's the same, but then I would be adding to the job security of my co-workers by providing one more patient to carry to the hospital:)

Safe diving,

Ken

..snip..
Now IN the water, over the head donning works great -- you can do it slowly and carefuly with you moving just about as much as the rig itself.
..snip..

I'll never forget the time we were on a dive trip and one of the instructors present decided to do a demonstration of in-water donning.
So he gathered a large group of newbies on the pier, then grabbed his gear, inflated the BC, threw it in the water and jumped in after it.
Floating in the water he went through the motions, spread out the rig in front of him, put his arms through the arm-holes, pulled it up over his head and then proceeded to drown himself.
After a few minutes watching his agitated movements face down in the water we had to jump in and rescue him.
It turned that in the near dark (this was on the hotel pier in the evening) he'd grabbed the wrong rig, a small instead of his usual large, so once he threw it over his head it acted like a straight-jacket pinning his arms out in front of him. Since he didn't put any fins on for the demo he had no way to extricate himself from the predicament.
Needless to say, he suffers till today with an endless ribbing on the subject, but at least he learnt to check that the gear is his own.

In every instance that I have seen it done, it was unnecessary and it's ridiculous (macho thing)and dangerous. Had a new partner pull that on my boat one day and I told him to NEVER do that again...he said it was the way he always did it (almost killed himself doing it) and whacked the windshield pretty good with the tank's base...I told him fine - do it anytime he wanted - just not on my boat. If there is ANY movement to the boat even in small seas it gives you a pretty unstable platform...

The overhead don is a traditional method, it has been in use since the beginning and was taught in scuba and in texts. It was most popular in the pre-BC era and especially the with short doubles (38s, 45s) popular once and lighter equipment that was rigged with a simple web harness. It is quick and easy to don the rig/tank and it works well underwater for the doff and don. The overhead don is not a good method for heavy equipment, long tanks, crowded boats etc. Everything has it's place, not knowing how to utilize the overhead don is like not knowing how to do a backroll entry just because most people today do a giant stride instead. N

I agree with Nemrod on this. The overhead don is what we learned. Of course I don't do it on most dive boats because of the reasons previously stated. I'm a bit younger than Nemrod so it was taught to me at the beginning of the Jacket BC era. However very few of us had Jacket BC's and the class was taught without any BC's and we used horse collar BC's for our open salt-water dives. The method is an effective method for donning gear if you don't have a buddy around or capable of holding your gear and there's not a bench available to assist in donning your gear. It's safe if done correctly and appropriately.

I do admit that I enjoy watching the new age divers eyes pop out when I do this at the quarry. Most have never seen or heard of this method. I do this with a weight integrated BC and an HP 100. However I'm a larger than average fellow and don't have much trouble when lifting and slinging 80lb cement bags over my shoulder. So it's probably not ideal for a lot of people. Most divers could do it with the minimalist gear set that Nemrod describes. Of course the gear was lighter and less bulky back then and we put our weightbelts on after we had slung the tank.

AL

Over the head donning doesn't have to be dangerous or take a lot of muscle. I like it for shore diving because some days there is no where to rest the tank to put it on, my buddy is not in a good position to lift it, and sometimes my knees are not great.

Where the hoses etcetera end up depends where they are relative to your forearms when you pick up the tank--inside or outside.

I look behind me before I start.

Once the tank is over my head, the weight of the tank is on my shoulders, and the BC straps are above my shoulders. I grab the tank valve with my left hand, BC strap with my right, and gently lower it down. Works with my steel 108 no problem, and I am not a particularly big guy.

I wouldn't do this on a boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom