Over the head donning of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people like to do everything the same way every time no matter what, sometimes that leads to an oh--****--now what when the previously always successful method does not work. Me, I prefer to have a quiver of arrows to select from, if one fails then I have others to try. The overhead don is entirely appropriate for beach diving especially when your buddy is occupied doing something else or you are solo and you know what, that PadI does not like it makes it even more funner.

N <---scubazoic era survivor

Have never done it on a boat and never will. I have done it at the pool when students are helping each other and I want to gear up quick. With my jacket and al80 it's actually easier than trying to lift it and shoulder it on. In the water it is much easier when doing a doff and don or just a simple bc off and on demo. What I have found though is if students emulate the move I make sure to make a big deal out of pulling my snorkel down for their benefit. Many newbs wear the snorkel high. It makes no difference to me. But then I've done it more than a few times. If the newbs don't pull the snorkel down it inevitably gets caught on something on the bc and pulls the mask halfway off their face.

I see no chance of me trying it with doubles out of the water unless I lay my hands on a set of 40 or something along those lines. No pad on the plate so I can see a gouged skull situation as a likely result. My singles BPW has no bolts so that's a maybe. But I don't see trying it with a 95 when there are perfectly good truck bumpers, DM's, and students to press into service!

Actually on small inflatables over the head whilst seated on the hull tube facing in, may be the best way to go. Just be sure that you don't tumble out ... I've seen it happen.

Never been able to accomplish this method myself. Of course I've had a few past shoulder injuries that prevent me from doing so safely (safely for others that is). I was wondering if it originates from some of the ex-military divers who were so prevalent in the instructor's ranks back when I started.

I think it originated from the days before BC's and continued when the BC's were the horse collar types, in either case you were only dealing with a backpack and a tank - not so anymore....now even dealing with integrated weights and other assorted "add-ons" -knives, shear, lights... What few times I've done a beach dive , I gear-up off my truck tailgate or my partner assisted me and vice versa - if your'e in too much of a hurry to assist and check each other out, slow down - if your partner's busy..... patience. I'm one of those guys who has limited (if any) contact with my partner after we go down, so I def want him to eyeball my set-up and make sure things look pretty squared away.

NOVIZWHIZ:
What few times I've done a beach dive , I gear-up off my truck tailgate or my partner assisted me and vice versa - if your'e in too much of a hurry to assist and check each other out, slow down - if your partner's busy..... patience.

I do lots of beach dives. I usually gear up exactly as you, but sometimes the conditions are such that gearing up at the tail gate is a very poor option. I've dived a few locations where I've had to climb down to the beach to get to the entry point. In that case, one diver climbs down, the other diver hands down both rigs. Both divers gear up on the beach and make their entry. If you are significantly taller than your buddy it's fair easy for you to help your buddy gear up, but it's extremely difficult for your buddy to lift your gear high enough for you to easily don it. It's much easier to carefully use the overhead method of donning your rig. It has nothing to do with lack of patience or being in a hurry. I use this method only when it's the best method for conditions and when I do use it, I take more time with it than with other methods.

Actually on small inflatables over the head whilst seated on the hull tube facing in, may be the best way to go. Just be sure that you don't tumble out ... I've seen it happen.

That is where I have used the method the most. Sit on the tubes with the tank in front of you and then flip it up and over, works great. It is much better than wrestling around on the floor of a bouncing inflatable with a stubborn rig. Since most inflatables are small and the gear is carried piled in the floor with the divers sitting on the tubes so it is a natural and completely acceptable way if not the best to mount your rig. Giant strides don't work very well on inflatables either, always nice to have the ability to adapt and evaluate.

N

sounds too much like work (lol) never had the short diver problem, I have my hand under the tank's base and grab the handle on the vest right in front of the yoke with the other hand, lift it enought for my partner to back into it (he's helping, once we get it onto one shoulder, kind of shrugs his way into it with me asssiting)...as I said I do a little as possible - HATE beach diving and maybe suiting up is why.....jeez - if I have to repel down a drop-off...forget it.

That is where I have used the method the most. Sit on the tubes with the tank in front of you and then flip it up and over, works great. It is much better than wrestling around on the floor of a bouncing inflatable with a stubborn rig. Since most inflatables are small and the gear is carried piled in the floor with the divers sitting on the tubes so it is a natural and completely acceptable way if not the best to mount your rig. Giant strides don't work very well on inflatables either, always nice to have the ability to adapt and evaluate. I have also used the overhead on my kayak, works well there as well. I turn around in the seat facing rearward. I already have the tank laid out when I loaded it in the correct position, I simply lean forward, grasp the straps and flip the tank over my back---most excellent method :cool2:.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom