over-pressure valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there,

Anyone got a line on cheap over-pressure valves, like would be used on a dry suit or lift bag?

If you had to use an OPV on a dry suit it could be real interesting and I'd like to be there to watch. I imagine it would be sort of a Michelin Man goes diving kind of thing.

Many dive shops salvage the parts including dump valves off their retired rental BC's and usually have a parts box with several dump valves in them.

DA Aquamaster:
If you had to use an OPV on a dry suit it could be real interesting and I'd like to be there to watch. I imagine it would be sort of a Michelin Man goes diving kind of thing.

Many dive shops salvage the parts including dump valves off their retired rental BC's and usually have a parts box with several dump valves in them.

Oops. Never used a dry suit, guess I just I assumed that they had one 'just in case.'

Thanks for the tip, though.

DA is being a bit obtuse. Actually you do use OPVs with (though not on) drysuits, and their purpose to to stop you from looking like Bibendum, not promote it. However that's pretty much beside the point since what you are interested in is properly referred to as an "exhaust" or "dump valve", or maybe "automatic exhaust valve" even though it is a kind of overpressure valve. In the dive world "overpressure valve" (or "OPV") usually refers specifically to a relief valve that goes on a LP port on the first stage of a regulator to prevent overpressurization of a drysuit (if it's an argon suit inflation reg) or a 2nd stage in the event of an HP seat failure.

These come in two varieties, expensive adjustable ones used on drysuits, and simpler, non-adjustable ones used on BCs and lift bags, so you need to know your application before you start shopping.

Back
Top Bottom