Over-panicking my self about DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems unlikely to me that this could be DCS as well. Pulmonary barotrauma is a possibility, but that typically declares itself right away, not two hours after surfacing. "Chest pain" is one of those trigger phrases for medical professionals, so my recommendation would be to go to the nearest emergency department. Diving only widens the differential diagnosis for illnesses that occur post-dive. This could be (and probably is) something completely unrelated.

Best regards,
DDM

My chest doesn't hurt anymore. But I still feel a little out of it in the head. Should I give DAN a call? I'm never called before do I need to pay them or provide them with insurance?

My chest doesn't hurt anymore. But I still feel a little out of it in the head. Should I give DAN a call? I'm never called before do I need to pay them or provide them with insurance?

You do not need to pay or provide to DAN to discuss this with them on the telephone.

As @tursiops said in his reply, call DAN for advice, it is given without charge. And take their advice.

Personally, I'd have a talk with my own doc, there may be other issues he needs to know about.

DAN will not be able to do much with non-specific symptoms like this. They'll tell you to go to the emergency department.

Best regards,
DDM

DAN will not be able to do much with non-specific symptoms like this. They'll tell you to go to the emergency department.

Best regards,
DDM

Yep, I called DAN explained my situation, they said it would be extremely unlikely with my symptoms and the dive profiles that I had any sort of DCS. They said to see a general dr about the other symptoms. I'm feeling a lot better so I haven't made an appointment yet but if I get worse, I'm going to my dr. Thank you

Yep, I called DAN explained my situation, they said it would be extremely unlikely with my symptoms and the dive profiles that I had any sort of DCS. They said to see a general dr about the other symptoms. I'm feeling a lot better so I haven't made an appointment yet but if I get worse, I'm going to my dr. Thank you

You're most welcome. I think that if it was concerning enough for you to come here and post your question, it's concerning enough to go see a physician. It could be nothing more than a strained intercostal muscle and some hyperventilation, but it would be nice to find out.

Best regards,
DDM

(A) Call DAN now - no insurance required

(B) Don't get medical advice over the internet.

@fisheater , with all due respect, the diving medicine forum on ScubaBoard exists so that people can come in and ask medical questions. There are some highly qualified people here, myself the least among them, and we've helped quite a few people over the years. We've quite literally saved at least one life and have published a case report in a peer-reviewed journal on a syndrome that first presented itself here. If you've nothing else to say, please at least avoid denigrating the medical folks.

Best regards,
DDM

Did you inhale any water, as in a wet-breathing regulator or taking a few waves to the face at the surface? It's not uncommon to have some temporary chest pain after aspirating a small amount of salt water. As a kid it sometimes used to happen to me after a day of surfing wipeouts.

I am not a doctor or a particularly good surfer. Your symptoms could be a lot of other things, or nothing. See a doc if you're concerned or if it ever happens again.

Glad to hear you called DAN and got some professional advice. What a great organization.

Back
Top Bottom