Outgrown current computer, entering DM training - limited budget - Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice, the Aeris 300 -

Problem is with international shipping + import duties I'm not much cheaper than the Geo 2.0, (like roughly $50 less) which I can find news for just under 300 euros in these parts.

Has anyone got any feedback on the Oceanic Geo 2.0, apart from its horrible user manual? It looks like a solid DC and also has the Pelagic DSAT or Pelagic Z+ algorithm. It's a step up from the Veo/Aeris 300, from what i understood, but I'm not even sure of that.

Having access to the DSAT algo. seems like the way to go, so that kind of narrows it down to Aeris300 or Veo (if I can get it for cheaper), which are pretty much the same thing, or the Geo 2.0 I guess.

I've had a Geo 2 backup to my AI VT3 for more than 5 years, nearly 700 dives. It has performed flawlessly, battery changes are quick and easy. I don't find the user manual "horrible" and the user interface is much better than older Oceanic computers. I've been using Oceanic computers since my 1st ProPlus in 2002. The Geo 2 is a watch style computer though I would not wear it daily for that purpose. It is very easy to read. The Veo 3/A300 is a small puck computer, same as my VT3.

Ben, are you doing your DMT with the intention of working with a particular shop?

If so, approach them and try to buy something out of their rental stock. It will benefit you and the shop. There is an advantage to really knowing the computer that your students use.

Hi,
I won't be working in the immediate future, not staying for an internship as we have quite a lot of things on our hands here in France at the moment.
The shop's rental stuff is mostly Zoops from what I remember. I don't think they have much computers to sell, it's Indonesia, and dive gear is much cheaper in Europe than in Asia.

I was actually diving with them both times I was in Komodo, one of the DM's has a Suunto D4i, others I don't know. The instructor I'll be studying under witnessed our troubles with the Cressi on the first Komodo trip, so he'll probably be very relieved that I show up with less problematic comp :) Cressi has actually managed to build up a very bad reputation in the area due to the specifics of the days trips...

I also have to think of my French/CMAS training which now involves deco recreational diving to 60m.

I'm still a little torn between the Veo (I found it at 189 euros with shipping, so cheaper than the A300) or the Geo at 295 euros, but probaly will go with the Geo 2.0. so it really feels like an upgrade. I'll have some time to get used to it here before the course.

I'd really like to thank everyone for their input, this has been very uselful in helping me narrow it down.

ben

I would say that the Geo2 and Veo3 are essentially equivalent computers. The main difference is the syle, watch vs. puck. The Geo has a watch function, otherwise all the features are the same.

I'd perhaps be looking at the Deep6 DC that is due out shortly.....

I'd perhaps be looking at the Deep6 DC that is due out shortly.....

Depends on the implementation of the Buhlmann algorithm, the RGBM option will be conservative. The price point of $139 is very attractive

...//... the Deep6 DC that is due out shortly.....
Most interesting. Canadian, eh? Sweet. I'll bet that it doesn't lock out, here in the US they all do. Lawyers. I buy all my DC's foreign for this one reason alone. No, I've never locked one out. It is just that a nanny-computer rankles beyond words.

Big easy to read display? Only what I need to see on the face during the dive? U/W gas choice/switch? Standard computer/smart phone interface?

I can't find many intended specs...

Anybody?

Edit:
This is for the OP, it is not intended to be a hijack...

Last edited:
I am also interested in seeing detailed info on the Deep 6. The only info on their site states "It operates in Air, Nitrox, and Gauge modes, and uses a Customized Bubble Model". Due to the lack of specifics I am assuming this is a RGBM based algorithm. My only personal experience with a RGBM was starting out with an old Suunto, it was more conservative for multi day diving than I was willing to accept. Other manufacturers may implement the RGBM model differently but so far I have seen too many divers in Cozumel become frustrated with the current variants of the RGBM model when attempting a rigorous multi day dive routine. I truly hope that Deep 6 does not fall into that category as the projected price point is excellent and I like the companies business model statement.

Chris hasn't said much, but @tbone1004 has made a couple informational blurbs.....

only those that were published on the website about it, though that has been taken down recently.... Hoping to see it out real soon though.... biggest priority from what I've been told were the fins and regulators that are both out, so hopefully the rest is coming. I know Chris has been quite particular about the products from the different OEM's which has caused some unfortunate delays, but I think they're all well worth the wait.

Back
Top Bottom