out-of-shape divers doing things like diving the doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a cardiovascular researcher, so some of the topic of health and obesity is near and dear to my ... ahem ... heart. Keep in mind as I write this, though, that I'm not a doctor and most of what I write is anecdotal, not primary research.

In general, I would say that you can't tell very much about a person's health from how they look in a wetsuit unless they look like ianr33's picture. Being slim and muscular is not necessarily a vast difference from having a potbelly or a spare tire, although typically full-on obesity would indicate health risks. It's quite plausible to have an extremely fit cardiovascular system and still pack quite a few extra pounds: you just have to eat more than you put in, so if you're exercising a great deal and eating even more you might have a powerful heart and a big gut. Couple that with the fact that people who swim tend to lose less fat than other exercisers, and I'm not surprised there are a fair number of squishy divers.

On the flip side, you can get people like me: until quite recently, despite looking fairly trim on the outside, I found myself breathless after pretty short exertions. Once I realised this I picked up my cardio exercise, and I'm doing much better now... but guess what? I hardly look any different! Even my wife can barely see the results of my exercise regime, but the difference in my heart's performance is very apparent.

I might question the sanity of someone with a definite knowledge of a delicate cardiovascular condition, or morbid obesity, doing a seriously challenging dive. Given that you can't tell the former from a video and I don't recall ever seeing any of the latter in the dive vids I've seen, I suspect you are misjudging your ability to eyeball someone's health.

Gotta love it when the fat guys post that their skills and endurance and the parts that you "cant see" make up for the fact that they're overweight, probably obese, and that they could have one or two arteries ready to close up at any minute and they could drop dead of a heart attack as soon as they're faced with an extreme situation while diving.

There's no excuse for being fat and overweight no matter how you slice it.

I don't care if you're skilled or if you write books on diving or if you can swim circles around your buddies. If you can't see your toes or your genitalia and you know you're a few belt sizes larger than what you're supposed to be, then freaking do something about it.

It's called "mental discipline".

Either do it right or admit you can't.

But don't defend it. That's just lame.

I'm down to 213 lbs at 6 foot 1", I feel good and I look good and yeah I can preach from my soap box because I'm doing what I need to do.

Oh good. I was hoping Idoc would give us his professional opinion.
:shakehead:

Every time I see pictures of "hardcore" North Atlantic deep wreck divers, I notice that many of them are waaaaaaaaaay out of shape.

HOW DOES THIS WORK??

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY??

Please, if you are a person who fits the above description, give me some insight.

As someone else pointed out, what you probably see is that someone is overweight, not exercise tolerance. By itself overweight is probably not a bad thing in diving, after all many sea mammals have lots of blubber and round shape. Someone who exercises and has good exercise tolerance may do well in the water.

There are also thin people who never exercise and have poor exercise tolerance.

I should also add that muscular people have been known to die of premature heart disease. The fact that someone pumps weights and is muscular -- they may look fit but the look can be deceiving.

Adam

Gotta love it when the fat guys post that their skills and endurance and the parts that you "cant see" make up for the fact that they're overweight, probably obese, and that they could have one or two arteries ready to close up at any minute ...

Didn't you recently post a thread wondering why it wasn't cool for you to comment on your patients' weight? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's because you have the beside manner of a sunburnt badger.

Sorry to be rude, but that deeply bothers me. I'm sure your well-meaning intention is to "tell it like it is", but it's not working out that way. That attitude does far more harm than good. It makes people who are already sensitive about their weight get defensive, rather than convincing them to remedy their situation. The "guilt trip" attitude is as much part of the obesity problem as the laziness and gluttony that led North Americans there in the first place.

And yes, I speak from experience, because I know the kind of problems the doctors I work with face. That includes patients who have been taught to defend themselves from guys like you, rather than critically think about their health issues.

Incidentally, Steve, your BMI is in the 28+ range, putting you at roughly 20-30% increased chance of heart disease. You are not on a soap box: you are overweight, and shouting from the crowd.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's because you have the beside manner of a sunburnt badger

Incidentally, Steve, your BMI is in the 28+ range, putting you at roughly 20-30% increased chance of heart disease. You are not on a soap box: you are overweight, and shouting from the crowd.

:rofl3:

Gotta love it when the fat guys post that their skills and endurance and the parts that you "cant see" make up for the fact that they're overweight, probably obese, and that they could have one or two arteries ready to close up at any minute and they could drop dead of a heart attack as soon as they're faced with an extreme situation while diving.

There's no excuse for being fat and overweight no matter how you slice it.

I don't care if you're skilled or if you write books on diving or if you can swim circles around your buddies. If you can't see your toes or your genitalia and you know you're a few belt sizes larger than what you're supposed to be, then freaking do something about it.

It's called "mental discipline".

Either do it right or admit you can't.

But don't defend it. That's just lame.

I'm down to 213 lbs at 6 foot 1", I feel good and I look good and yeah I can preach from my soap box because I'm doing what I need to do.

There are three basic types, The Wills, The Won'ts, and the Can'ts.
The Wills accomplish everything, the Won'ts oppose everything, and the Can'ts won't try anything.

V.I.N.CENT: The Black Hole

Blah blah blah blah...

Perhaps you should start focussing on your social skills. It appears you haven't exercised them since junior high.

I look good
:rofl3:We see your avatar--I guess you meant "better." Are you still working the internet dating scene desperately trying to find a woman willing to put up with, or unable to recognize, your narcissism? Appearance and money will only go so far, and if that is actually you in your avatar, you'd better work on addressing your personality defects--or accumulating a lot more money.

Hey Idoc, just looked up your BMI and it's a 28.1 (25-29 is over weight). do us all a favor and stay out of the water so you don't become a statistic. As you stated you are down to 213 which means your BMI was much higher making you at one time Obesity. It might be a good time to check with a MD to make sure an artery is not clogged going to your brain or at least have him remove your foot from your mouth. :dork2:

Back
Top Bottom