Out of air emergency at 105 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4corals,

The more additional info you post about the incident, the more I'm sure you did a superb job keeping the situation from spiraling out of control.

It does sound like the OOA DM you rescued was just barely under control, and was just one step away from panic.

Getting him to the surface as quickly as was safely possible was 100% the right move. You defused a potentially deadly incident, and I think you have a lot to feel good about.

Again, well done :thumb:

Best wishes.

Sorry to jump in at the end of this thread.... I've read through the whole darn thing and couldn't help adding a comment. I work in Playa as an instructor and just reading the first post was enough to get my blood running and my evil eye twitching. That dm has no business being responsible for other divers. He shows a total lack of training, experience, and common sense. I think the OP was completely correct in his dealing with this situation. But I would have gone a step further and DEFINITELY made damn sure this guy is made accountable. For our shop, a guide having to share air with a paying customer on a regular dive would be grounds for termination. The lack of safety standards and proper training that I sometimes see in dms drives me bonkers. He put himself, you, and the rest of his divers at risk. Hopefully that sunk it and he will re-train all emergency techniques and dive theory at length before continuing his career. I just wish there was a way of forcing that on him...
Sorry for the rant.... won't happen again. :)

I work in Playa as an instructor and just reading the first post was enough to get my blood running and my evil eye twitching. That dm has no business being responsible for other divers.

I agree with Sofia.

The lack of safety standards and proper training that I sometimes see in dms drives me bonkers.

I have ranted on ScubaBoard about the poor quality of dive professionals that the industry is producing.

Sofia, can you please tell us a little about what you are saying about the quality of DMs down where you are?

Thanks openmindow, this is definitely NOT a problem of JUST Mexico. You can find poorly trained dms all over the world. Its an attractive job for young divers in many tourist destinations and it can be quite easy to find someone to fudge your training for you to start working faster. A quick and basic way to judge a dm you are not feeling too sure about would be to ask in casual conversation how many dives he has and how long he's been working as a guide. And MAKE SURE you hold them accountable for anything you feel is not safe or responsible!! Its already too easy to get the certification, let's help make it tougher to keep it!!

Thanks openmindow, this is definitely NOT a problem of JUST Mexico. You can find poorly trained dms all over the world. Its an attractive job for young divers in many tourist destinations and it can be quite easy to find someone to fudge your training for you to start working faster.

I agree, Divinglife. I did not intend to single-out Mexican diving standards. I am located in the USA, and I believe that we are producing some low-quality Instructors and some low-quality DMs here.

Personally, I think we need to raise the standards.

Well most divemaster training programs don't teach you how to become a better diver they teach how to demo skills and babysit divers that are new to the area or help out with open water classes. I know this first hand i am a divemaster . And to water this training down anymore would be suicide. definate need for change in the dive pro industry There is a lack of instructors and divemasters out there with real dive experiance .Since it is a low paying or no paying line of work .I do all my divemastering for free btw

So and out of air at 105ft by a divemaster no real surprise :(

I think its reckless on the DM's part and I agree with the others that he shouldnt be responsible for other divers except maybe a swimming pool, and not all DM training programs are poor but I think its the student DM's responsibility to learn all he can from the materials furnished and be the best he can be even with poor training.

As you guys keep suggesting the DM has no business being a DM, I wonder that no one has questioned whether or not he holds an instructor cert as seems to be the norm for so many resort DMs. Those of you scared about this guy leading certified divers would probably be at another level when considering he might also be leading uncertified divers on discover dives or OW checkout dives.

As you guys keep suggesting the DM has no business being a DM, I wonder that no one has questioned whether or not he holds an instructor cert as seems to be the norm for so many resort DMs. Those of you scared about this guy leading certified divers would probably be at another level when considering he might also be leading uncertified divers on discover dives or OW checkout dives.

Yikes!

I honestly had not thought about that, but yeah, it is possible the "SPG-challenged" DM was indeed an instructor....

Hey, with this additional dive experience he can now qualify to be a Course Director! :rofl3:

(Slinks off and hides :D)

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom