Our trip to COZUMEL!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECPaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hotel: El Presidente
A nice hotel, with nice architecture and decorations, but too expensive. The cleaning service took a long time, and the food wasn't great. But good snorkeling right off of the beach. We went snorkeling right out from the hotel many times. You can walk right into the ocean and it is lined off with bouys so you don't go to far or run into the boats coming in. About 20 feet out from shore in 10 feet of water is a small wreck of a boat. There isn't much coral growing around it, but plenty of fish hang around. THere are severeal little patches of coral and the depth is only about 10-15 feet, so it makes for great snorkeling and also a refresher dive. Most of the marine life we saw were flounders, angelfish, jacks, silversides, moray eels, stingrays, blue tangs, other small fish, and parrotfish. THe parrotfish were very colorful and there were severeal types. A few times when we went out, mostly in the late afternoon, we saw some giant parrotfish about 3 feet long!!! Also, Paradise Reef was so close to the hotel that you could swim to it.

DIVES:

Tormentos (drift) - A great dive. This was the fastest of the drift dives, but excellent. Alot of marine life and a variety of corals. Many big creatures, such as barracuda, eels, groupers.

Palancar Gardens (twice) - Visibility was so so. Lots of pinnacles and swim throughs with a variety of corals. Saw a sea turtle.

Yucab (drift)(twice) - Very lovely. All of the coral was right under you, so it was very easy. Many little critters under ledges.

San Francisco Wall (drift) - San Francisco was an amazing dive. We went down to about 60 feet on the side of the wall, hanging over the edge. The wall was so lush with coral and colors!!! It was a moderate drift dive, and pretty easy. There were thousands of fish, and it was a great dive to start the week off with. Highly recommended.

Las Palmas Drop Off (drift)- Las Palmas was great. It was a very relaxing dive, and the coral was colorful, purples, oranges, greens. Lots of barrels sponges, and angelfish.

Paradise (night)- This was the last dive we did, after an afternoon dive at Tormentos. The boat was full, with about 8 people, due to mix ups. The water was flat, and probably 79 degrees. This was our first night dive, so we were all pretty nervous. But after we got our lights and rolled into the water, we were fine. Immediately we saw fish, some sleeping, and coral below us. It was odd and relaxing diving at night...the darkness had a positive mellow effect. We were at about 30 feet for 40 minutes. There, we saw our first octopus, scorpionfish, and king crabs, along with a couple of lovely splendid toadfish and a huge moray eel, who swam out of his hole and was probably 10 feet long!!! It was neat to see all of the sleeping fish tucked away, and small fish glowing in the night. This was definately the best place for a night dive.

MARINE LIFE:

-Green Sea Turtle (2)
-Queen Angelfish
-Gray Angelfish (huge!)
-French Angelfish
-Scrawled Filefish
-Black Durgon
-Reef Butterflyfish
-Sergeant Major
-Foureye Butterflyfish
-Rock Beauty
-Spotted Drum (Saw a couple large ones, and many teeny juveniles)
-Blue Chromis
-Blue Tang (Many)
-Yellowhead Wrasse
-Bluehead Wrasse
-Smooth Trunkfish (cute!)
-Trumpetfish
-Fairy Basslet
-Squirrel fish (Many)
-Stoplight Parrotfish (Many different kinds of Parrotfish, we saw giant 3 footers also!)
-Black Grouper (Many on Tormentos)
-Bar Jack
-Bluestriped Grunt
-Grey Snapper
-Graysby
-Yellowtail Snapper
-Octopus (A very colorful one on Paradise night dive)
-Sea Cucumbers
-King Crab ( A few huge ones. on Paradise night dive)
-Spiny Lobster (Many)
-Silversides
-Splendid Toadfish (Saw plenty!!! Very cool!!!)
-Spotted Moray Eel (Many)
-Green Moray Eel
-Scorpionfish (Paradise night dive)
-Brain Coral
-Tube Sponge
-Barrel Sponge (HUGE)
-Fire Coral
-Star Coral
-Sea Fans
-Flamingo Tounges

EATS:

La Choza- ~Mexican Food~ A bit busy, but nothing to complain about. It was a nice atmosphere, with a mariachi band who played at your table if you wished. The fajitas and margaritas were delicious. ****

Prima- ~Italian Food~ The restraunt was on the top floor, overlooking downtown. The meals were a good price, and alot of food. ****

Casa Denis- ~Mexican Food~ This is the oldest resturaunt in Coz. A nice, family run resturaunt, with limited seating. The food was excellent ****

Pancho's Backyard- ~Mexican Food~ You have to walk through a store to get to this, but thats ok. It had a beautiful atmosphere, with decorations, and plants everywhere. The food was delicious, and the ice cream is highly recommended. *****

La Mission- ~Italian Food~ Pretty busy, and a little touristy, but nice. Very good dinner and dessert. ***

Rock N Java- Even though we decided to walk from Blue Angel in the sweltering hot to get to it, this was great. Its a small resturaunt, and they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had a faboulous breakfast, and everything was inexpensive.*****

Presidente- not worth it *

OTHER:

Downtown was nice, but extremely crowded and touristy in most places. It was $7 to get to town in a taxi. There were usually 4-5 enourmous cruise ships at the pier, which was the cause for most of the crowd. We tried to stay away from the "cruise ship" places, such as Punta Langosta. We did do some inexpensive souveneir shopping, mainly shirts and small gifts. Most of the shops you will have to bargain with someone to get a good price, and people will try to sell you everything. There is a very inexpensive store, called the Cozumel Mart, in the center of town, with everything from a pharmacy to grocereys to clothes to souveneirs.
We recommend a store called the Mayan Batik Factory, right next to the resturaunt La Mission. They make their own t shirts that are beautifully created. We bought 4 shirts, and got a good price. We also bought a silk hammock which was nice.

We had a magnificent time.

Anywho, we will be posting lovely pictures soon.

Adios!!!

As you can probably tell from all of the exclamation points, my daughter (and not me) made the original post to start this trip report (although I agree with almost everything that she said). Here are pics of our trip:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/silbe...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

BTW - the shore diving in front of the hotel (El Presidente) was really superb. I saw more Morays and stingrays there than in almost all of the other dives put together. All at the cost of a $10 tank/weights from the local dive op (Scuba Du).

We used Blue Angel and thought they were great. Liked all of the DMs but especially liked Matthew - he was patient with us novices. We would use them again. But we won't be back to El Presidente. They roped me into sitting and listening to their time-share sales pitch - after 90 minutes of "that sounds great but I'm REALLY not interested" I walked away with $80 in spending "credits" and free breakfast - not too bad for 90 minutes of listening to a hard-core sales pitch.

Here is a story that will provide some indication of how "restrictive" El Presidente" is: One night we wanted to get some pizza - so we called the local Pizza Hut and asked if they could deliver to the El Presidente. They said "of course", so we ordered, gave them our room number, and waited. 45 minutes later I got a call from the front desk asking me to come to the main hotel lobby to get the pizza. When I did the Pizza delivery guy was no where to be found, and I was then told by the concierge that I would have to walk out to the main gate (about 150 yards) to meet the pizza delivery guy - they would not allow him on the hotel premises! [If I had known that I would not have ordered it in the first place). I looked kind of strange carrying a Pizza Hut box all the way down the drive to the hotel with the occasional taxi passing me, but finally did get to enjoy it with my family.

Beautiful beach-front room, and well maintained, but for me money I'll probably try to reserve rooms at Caribe Blu or Scuba Club next time.

Overall, a fantastic trip, and we met a lot of really nice folks while diving, except for one lady who did not appear happy to be diving with such "novices". She made it quite clear to everyone on the boat that she wanted to "dive deep", and if that was her preference she should have informed Blue Angel before getting on the dive boat, as we had already told Blue Angel that we had out two junior OW divers with us and would not be diving anything deeper than 60'. And of course there is a ton of great stuff to see at 60' or less as well as extended bottom time.

We'll be back to Coz before long.

-Paul

Nice Report, seems you went to some of the nicer places to eat. There's several more you can try on your next trip.

murphdivers286:
Great report. That was a lot of fish. How did you remember them all?

Like I said, my 15 year old daughter was the one who kept tabs on all of the fish that we saw, diligently updating these in her diving log each day. She was the one that generated the initial post to this thread, including the "fish list".

She is studying marine biology as part of her home schooling curriculum, so this was an ideal vacation for her. She is much better at identifying fish than I am.

-Paul

Great trip report and pictures! Your daughter did a nice job. Curious what your camera setup is. Thanks!

Nice report and pics! You and your daughter make a great trip-reporting team!
The closer I get to our trip (May 1st) the more I enjoy these reports. My wife has suggested that I've already spent more time reading about Coz than we will actually spent there.
Naw....

Scubagal:
Great trip report and pictures! Your daughter did a nice job. Curious what your camera setup is. Thanks!
Thanks for the compliment! As relative newbies to ScubaBoard this is our first trip report. We enjoy reading what others have to say and wanted to add to the information posted.

Interesting that you should ask this question about cameras. I use a Canon S50 with a Canon WP-DC300 waterproof case, and that's it. No external strobe, wide angle, or macro lense. I do a little bit of image post-processing with a nifty program called Pixel-Enhance that I run on my iMac (mucho simpler to use that something like Photoshop).

I was thinking about adding an external strobe, but as I look at the cost of these (for example, the Inon models) I get a massive case of sticker shock. This made me think more and more about the option of a separate digital camera dedicated to underwater photography with an integrated strobe - maybe something like a Sea Life or a Sea and Sea. What do you think?

ECPaul:
I was thinking about adding an external strobe, but as I look at the cost of these (for example, the Inon models) I get a massive case of sticker shock. This made me think more and more about the option of a separate digital camera dedicated to underwater photography with an integrated strobe - maybe something like a Sea Life or a Sea and Sea. What do you think?

The S70 has a manual flash mode that will cancel the pre-flash, and one can then use any flash that has a slave with that camera. I'm not sure about the S50, but it would be worth a look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom