Our Sabang Canyons Salmon Run (aka the Dive of Death)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ten years ago I got drift all the way to Baco islands with my son, after one of my most exciting Canyon dive, for 3 hours, I didnot blame any one, but the one that rescued me, blame me using cheap diveshop from White Beach. anyway, noeaday I dive P.G. for free, if I am there. even how well you plan, some time it still get screw up! thanks J.C. for refresh my memory!

Jason, it sunds like you had a pretty hariy dive. From your description you actually dove the Canyons and 2nd Canyon on the ebb tide. The Canyons has a max depth of about 100ft, the second canyon is at 90ft (in fact the Fishbowl is a deeper site - 130ft to the edge of the bowl and 148ft feet inside).

Two things happen on the ebb tide - the current starts to rip as it passes by escarceo point - a down current can be formed over the deep fishbowl - this is what dragged you down.

In the summer months we get much stronger currents in PG due to the larger tides. The dive centers have an agreement to only take a max of two divers per DM through the Canyons on a strong ebb tide. In previous years people have got bent from ascending too quickly after the down current and one diver was lost.

The blame for the dive should be put squarely at the DMs feet. Lack of judgement can kill people. He should have the experience of local conditions to know when to call the dive. Even an experienced diver when faced with a strong down current can over-react - extreme anxiety sets in and they inflate the BCD and end up with an uncontrolled ascent. They may get bent - if their air holds out to the surface.

True about the signal sausage as well. All divers should carry one, as well as a whistle. They can be tucked in a pocket and brought out when needed.

Jason, it sunds like you had a pretty hariy dive. From your description you actually dove the Canyons and 2nd Canyon on the ebb tide. The Canyons has a max depth of about 100ft, the second canyon is at 90ft (in fact the Fishbowl is a deeper site - 130ft to the edge of the bowl and 148ft feet inside).

Two things happen on the ebb tide - the current starts to rip as it passes by escarceo point - a down current can be formed over the deep fishbowl - this is what dragged you down.

In the summer months we get much stronger currents in PG due to the larger tides. The dive centers have an agreement to only take a max of two divers per DM through the Canyons on a strong ebb tide. In previous years people have got bent from ascending too quickly after the down current and one diver was lost.

The blame for the dive should be put squarely at the DMs feet. Lack of judgement can kill people. He should have the experience of local conditions to know when to call the dive. Even an experienced diver when faced with a strong down current can over-react - extreme anxiety sets in and they inflate the BCD and end up with an uncontrolled ascent. They may get bent - if their air holds out to the surface.

True about the signal sausage as well. All divers should carry one, as well as a whistle. They can be tucked in a pocket and brought out when needed.

That you, Mr. Kirkham?

If so, you certified me in 1996, I think.:D

Yep - it's me. Still here and diving every day. What you up to?

Cheers - Rick

Sabang%20Panorama.jpg

Cool photo Rick, just chilling out here in San Francisco, already looking to hire for this winter, so I'm on the computer quite a bit!!!

Yep - it's me. Still here and diving every day. What you up to?

Cheers - Rick

Sabang%20Panorama.jpg

2 posts in 3 years? Most impressive :)

As a matter of fact, will be heading your way with my daughters in tow this weekend and staying for a week.

A new job will be taking me to Libya in September, and seeing as the kids are on holiday, I thought I might as well spoil them. Will make a point of popping by to say hello.

I guess the photo gives Rick away!

Hi Rick,

This is Drew Childers, you were the guide the first time I dived the Canyons in about '98.

Drew

Hi Drew

good to hear from you again. Funnily enough - just came back from the Canyons about an hour ago. All the usual suspects - tons of Jacks and Trevallys and a nice strong drift.

What you up to now?

Rick

Back
Top Bottom