Our planned encounter this weekend with a giant catfish in a private pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove quite a few pond's. I will say take at least 2 cutting tool's. I can't tell you how many time I got intangled in the low vis. Those fisheman and women leave line everywhere. Have fun!

Jocasseegirl and I both carry shears. and she also has a line cutter and I carry 2 knives as well.

We don't have any gators in the upstate where we will be diving unless someone lost a pet.

We do have some snakes and turtles. The EMS outpost is about 5 miles from the dive site should be need them in case my buddy Jocassee Lassie sees one and freaks on me. I have full confidence in her self control.

Yes Debbie we need to me in the truck and headed for the lake by 4:30am. I it light by 5:30 even though sunrise isn't for a bit. It was light when I left for work this morning at 5:45. By the time we get there and unload it should be just about perfect. Jim can only hold off the fishermen so long. From what I hear the catfishermen are the first to come so that will be our first dive to see Big Bertha and friends.

Our second dive will be in the carp pond. If the average fish is about 20 pounds that would mean there are close to 2000 20 pound fish in the carp pond.

He feeds the trout about the time we will be getting there and the trout pond will be our last dive of the day. I want to see how the feeding thing goes down. If the feading frenzie looks like something we would like to join in the future, we will plan a time come back another weekend and then have him toss the chow around us after we get in the water. He says it is quite a sight to see.

Most of the guys who fish there are pretty nice. Some of them look like the cast of Deliverance, but they are harmless. There is one fella who is a real character. They call him Hollywood. He is a real hoot. Last time I fished he broke out in song and sang to me while we fished. He was so cute.

Kimber, welcome to the thread. I think this is your first post in one of my threads. About the time I became active last year there was a lot of talk about you. I am glad to finally meet you on the board. Hope you continue to do well.

I don't know if we will see a blessed thing in the water, but I can assure you, we will have a great time and lots of stories to tell!!! We always have lots of stories to tell after we dive--most of them are even true!!

leah:
I carry 2 knives as well.
Watch out...apparently she knows how to use them, as well.

leah:
Most of the guys who fish there are pretty nice. Some of them look like the cast of Deliverance, but they are harmless.

Probably some of my kin :rofl3:. I assume you aren't talking about Burt Reynolds :wink:. I should probably warn you: I'm not a morning person (not THAT early, anyway). I'm not really a night person, either - my husband says he doesn't know what kind of person I am :shakehead.

SparticleBrane:
Watch out...apparently she knows how to use them, as well.

You are too funny Sparti!!!:rofl3:

I will never be fully DIR because I will always carry more than one knife and require that my buddy carries more than one too!!! HUMMM!! Maybe this is why more people are not joining us in the Jocassee Skeleton Crew!! Maybe they think we are putting real people down there for the fish to spend time with!--Not the best marketing plan--but we are having a good time and everyone knows when we are diving!

Jocasseegirl:
Probably some of my kin :rofl3:. I assume you aren't talking about Burt Reynolds :wink:. I should probably warn you: I'm not a morning person (not THAT early, anyway). I'm not really a night person, either - my husband says he doesn't know what kind of person I am :shakehead.

No, no, no I am afraid not the Burt Reynolds part of the cast. Really when I have gone up there to fish the guys are as sweet as they can be. They were very kind to me and helped me with my bait technique and so forth. I have to be careful where I let that information slip. If people know I am working on my bait technique, they might get the wrong idea!

I am not a morning person either. Not sure how I got a job that requires me to be at work at 6am either. Lets just plan on getting up making some coffee, driving to the dive site in silence and then after we are geared up we can say ok and then descend. We will catch up with one another after the first dive is over!:coffee:

Oh an since it is a tournament pond and they have loud speakers and mic system and are in the middle of the mountain--and did I mention the cast will be there--well anyway, I should shut up least you back out on me. I can promise only one thing--you will never forget this adventure with me miss Jocasseegirl!!!

I will bring the dive robes since all the cast members will be waiting for us when we get out of the lake. For those that don't know, I picked up some extra large teri bath robs to put on after I get out of the lake. They work really well, especially if it is chilly outside.

Might want to consider having something to rinse your gear off with, or at least remember to rinse it off quite well after your day of diving.
Diving in something that sounds as well stocked as this...you could come out smelling all fishy...

SparticleBrane:
Might want to consider having something to rinse your gear off with, or at least remember to rinse it off quite well after your day of diving.
Diving in something that sounds as well stocked as this...you could come out smelling all fishy...

This just keeps soundin' better 'n better :(

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Have a good time!
Just don't get eaten.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom