Our planned encounter this weekend with a giant catfish in a private pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok this is the weekend Jocasseegirl and I are going to dive some private ponds together. There are 3 ponds and we will do a tank on each pond. The ponds are about 2 -3 acres each and range in depth from 6-12. People fish in them, but we will be there early before lines are tossed in and will have surface support to keep anyone from casting on top of us.

The first pond will be the catfish pond and it does have a few fish in the 60+ pound range, many in the 20 pound range and a ton from 2-10 pounds.

In the carp pond I have personally caught several fish in the 20 pound range and know there are some upwards of 40+ pounds.

The trout pond is pretty new and the fish are relatively small in that pond. We may take some trout chow down with us for this dive.

The bottom is sand and there doesn't appear to be any significant amount of weeds. We will steer clear of any patches of weeds that we might encounter. The aerators will be off while we are in the water. The pond owner will draw off the top of the ponds the night before we dive so that there isn’t any algae on top of the water.

Any thoughts before we go down? Ever encounter a 4 foot 60 pound catfish?

Jocasseegirl is my regular dive buddy. We will be diving our regular waters in Jocassee the day before to work on skills and team protocols. Vis is usually 5-15 feet in Jocassee. We are planning for 2-5 vis in the ponds

Bring knives and be ready to use them if you're diving in a fishing pond, there's guaranteed to be fishing line in there.

Sounds like fun!

I've never dived in such a pond, or met a big catfish, but I've had close encounters with ling cod that big. It's amazing to see such a huge fish.

leah:
Any thoughts before we go down? Ever encounter a 4 foot 60 pound catfish?

Don't look like a worm? :) or whatever else 60 lb catfish eat....

What do 60 lb catfish eat?

TSandM:
Sounds like fun!

I've never dived in such a pond, or met a big catfish, but I've had close encounters with ling cod that big. It's amazing to see such a huge fish.

I wish you could join us! I would love to meet you and go diving with you one day. I have really enjoyed getting to know you on the board.

He keeps the ponds heavily stocked with fish. There are times the fish are so thick on top of the water that is looks like a black cloud has surfaced. Even with the low vis, since the water is so shallow we should still encounter a good many fish.

I am not sure it will top when a small mouth bass attacked me over and over again a couple of weeks ago--but I have high hopes

I just talked to Jim, he thinks he has close to 40,000 pounds of fish in the carp lake and it is 2.5 acres. About 20,000 pound of fish in the catfish pond that is about the same size.

Sounds like a HOOT ! ! ! :D

Now for some reason, that just sounds like a bunch of dives that beg to be finished off with some fried catfish, hushpuppies and cold beer !!!

But you best watch out for them snapping turtles . . . theygonnagichew !!!

the K-arp Pond Diver

Ben_ca:
Don't look like a worm? :) or whatever else 60 lb catfish eat....

What do 60 lb catfish eat?

I know that river flat heads eat fish - large sun fish, etc.

50 pound catfish, and toy poodles . . . :D

the K-atfish K-ooker

The Kraken:
Sounds like a HOOT ! ! ! :D

Now for some reason, that just sounds like a bunch of dives that beg to be finished off with some fried catfish, hushpuppies and cold beer !!!

the K-arp Pond Diver

I am hoping I can talk Jocasseegirl into having dinner at Cateran's in Greenville. ARE YOU READING THIS JOCASSEE GIRL???? It is this country cooking place that has the best catfish and fried chicken. And of course they always serve greens! The catfish are skinned and filleted and cooked to a golden brown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom