Our favorite place for craft beers in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand how anyone can drink that beer.
It's normally done by picking up the glass and pouring it in your mouth. Do you want me to find an instructional youtube video for you?

Well, this isn’t one of those “everybody gets a trophy” things, but it looks like they’ve used both “Obscura” and “Oscura” - maybe at different times. I think I’ve seen both over the years and a Google search shows images of bottles with both labels. If I’m not mistaken, the darker beer is now labeled “Vienna” and what used to be called “Clara” is now “Pilsner.”

Well, this isn’t one of those “everybody gets a trophy” things, but it looks like they’ve used both “Obscura” and “Oscura” - maybe at different times. I think I’ve seen both over the years and a Google search shows images of bottles with both labels. If I’m not mistaken, the darker beer is now labeled “Vienna” and what used to be called “Clara” is now “Pilsner.”

Exactly. I used to call it “Oscura” as well, but I noticed others on SB calling it “Obscura,” and Googled for images of bottles, which, sure enough, had “Obscura “ on the label. I was convinced I had been wrong all along.

Exactly. I used to call it “Oscura” as well, but I noticed others on SB calling it “Obscura,” and Googled for images of bottles, which, sure enough, had “Obscura “ on the label. I was convinced I had been wrong all along.
It seems they can't make up their mind. On this page it clearly shows the label without the B: http://bohemiabeerusa.com, which is what the labels looked like when I was on Cozumel last May.

I also always omitted the B since oscuro (a) is the Spanish word for dark, and the bottles I saw were consistent with that spelling. But yeah, it seems something may have changed.

Good beer though, especially for the price. I also like the Clara even though at home at least I don't generally drink that style, which is pretty much an American lager. This one has some taste.

I also always omitted the B since oscuro (a) is the Spanish word for dark, and the bottles I saw were consistent with that spelling. . . .

“Oscuro/a” was the Spanish word for “dark” I recall being taught, but when I saw “Obscura” on the pictures of labels I looked that up in the Spanish dictionary, and it seems both spellings mean “dark.”

And on a vaguely related note, who else noticed that “Negra Modelo” changed to “Modelo Negra, perhaps to align it with Modelo Especial?

Liquid sunshine

pg2nRIqI1m76PtH72wuVJlBSEdHq5JA1SR06W00ix3wVaOMwqTB_FRT1wnFtd0fy0G5wfKXnFC0Y9g33wpQ=w607-h809-no.jpg

Back
Top Bottom