Our Bonaire Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice, which site did you see the Goliath Grouper on?

Very nice, which site did you see the Goliath Grouper on?

Oddly enough I can recall being told that the goliath grouper that I saw was named Charlie but would have to look back to see where I saw it (I want to say it was Andrea II but cannot confirm it).

There's also a large tarpon named Charlie who hangs out at Buddy Dive. He'll follow you around if you do a night dive there, letting you find food for him with your light. :D

There's also a large tarpon named Charlie who hangs out at Buddy Dive. He'll follow you around if you do a night dive there, letting you find food for him with your light. :D

Yeah you are right....that is what I was thinking of. Charlie was a Tarpon...I remember seeing tarpon on my night dive at Bari but I just heard of the legend of Charlie.

I do remember seeing the goliath grouper because (s)he is the only one to actually pose for me to snap a picture. As not-exciting as groupers are, I snap hundreds of pictures of them because they refuse to cooperate. Except the big one in Bonaire. It swam up and actually stopped in front of me, let me line up and shoot two pictures and then left slowly.

I spent last week on Bonaire and we had a great night dive on the Hilma Hooker on wednesday. It was just the two of us, each with 10W HIDs and quickly had two large tarpons gobbling up any fish that got near what we focused on. They would swim along side us and then bolt from behind our lights, felt like the grim reaper, lol. I heard my buddy mutter some #$@%@!!! when the first fish in her sight disappeared. They followed us all the way into the shallows. Amazing how they work as a team, like wolves.

We saw the Goliath Grouper at Buddy's. He was under one of the mooring blocks straight out from the dock. It was right at dusk. We did our safety stop with him. He didn't seem the least bit concerned with us "hanging out" with him. Got back home yesterday. Will try to post a trip report soon. All the dives were great. I'd say my favorites were Angel City and Karparta.

Just a follow-up on Bonaire weather forecasting... It was totally wrong for last week as some folks suggested it would be! We had one shower last Friday coming up from a dive. Provided a nice clean shower for 10 minutes and then cleared right up!

.......We had one shower last Friday coming up from a dive......

I guess I had better bring my umbrella :rofl3:. I was there last November and it rained every day for about 20-30 minutes MAX (most days at night) but was absolutely beautiful beyond that. Sounds like your weather was even better. We are there in 2.5 weeks so hopefully we get what you had. Thanks for the post....it has me looking forward to leaving even more.

First time I heard rain underwater... Was pretty cool! I did bring my umbrella, but couldn't figure a good way to clip it on to my bc so it wouldn't keep slapping me in the knees :)

I find it spectaular sitting just below the surface and looking up when it is raining. Very cool and quite relaxing. I have never heard the rain but that would just be even better. Again, I hope our weather is as good as yours seems to have been.

First time I heard rain underwater... Was pretty cool! I did bring my umbrella, but couldn't figure a good way to clip it on to my bc so it wouldn't keep slapping me in the knees :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom