ouch mini season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I left Key West the day BEFORE mini-season two years back...what a fuster-cluck!

It's like going out bar hopping on New Years Eve..all the amateurs are out!!! (and I'm not saying I'm the most proficient diver, at that time I was just learning and had better control!)

I went diving with Captain's Corner which had all regular divers aboard that trip, another private charter had guys that probably only did mini-season every year who were kicking up viz and bumping into the reef and just getting in the way...never again!

Mini season is a great time to do yard and boat work, i drove around the bay and it was like the scene from jaws(all the people on the dock tryin to launch boats)

Actually, the way things turned out this year, a pretty respectable catch happened on shore dives.

Mini season isn't to be feared, or for that matter avoided. IMHO, it's the two days when you really test your diving skills, whether it means to dive or forego the dive. The problem isn't really the amount of boats, but the amount of people who suffer from what we, in my flying days, called the 2000 hr. syndrome (when the pilot thinks he/she knows everything and usually gets into trouble much quicker than for which he/she would wish). This is when people **ck up and die; they forget their buddy procedures, and most of all, forget the all important rule of 3rds, or in the alternative, to check their friggin spg's.

I survived another mini season and I love going. I go all the way to Key West and this year there were alot fewer boats than in past years. I agree with the 2000hr. syndrome. People that don't dive that often go diving without reviewing their skills and accidents happen. It is a tragedy to lose a diver no matter what their experience level is.
back40

I was out in Lauderdale both days and felt the traffic volume was less than in years past. The second day it was tough to spot more than a handful of boats out buggin.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom