Ouch! Drysuit Squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a DUI CLx450, I just put enough air in as I descend to eliminate the squeeze. The suit is still snug, and there is not enough air in it for it to shift, so no buoyancy/balance issues. If somebody tells you that your drysuit is the primary means for controlling your buoyancy, beat 'em upside the head with a rubber hose then take their drysuit because they don't deserve one. :eek:

Mike

I apologize if I hurt your feelings, but your post said NOTHING about having undergone ANY drysuit training. In fact, the post consisted of nothing but a chronicle of what went wrong..

NO it did not fit. The neck seal was loose. Every time I turned my head I got some nice, 52 degree ventilation down my chest. It's not easy to swim without turning your head.

This is of special interest: on your last dive you were wearing a BORROWED suit that you had never used before and had nothing but problems with. START with problems and they will lead to nothing but MORE problems. IOW, task loading beyond your ability to handle things.

Honestly, you would have been better off NOT diving than working with what was essentially (for you) an improperly functioning piece of equipment. There's no shame in calling a dive.. whatever the reason.

So what's the problem? You seem to be up on a soapbox flaming me for diving irresponsibly, but I'm doing everything by the book. What am I expected to learn from your post? It doesn't apply to me.

'poo if I had wanted to flame you, you'd have been reaching for an extinguisher long ago. I'm not on a soap box, I'm merely telling it like it is. You CAN get hurt (or worse) if you don't use a drysuit properly. Just because you were lucky enough to get off with no significant injuries THIS TIME does not mean that it cannot happen.

~SubMariner~

Pshaw. I am the best judge of when my ability to handle things is exceeded. I have been diving long enough to know when I am in trouble and when I should call a dive. I've called 'em before and I'm sure I'll call 'em again when appropriate. I would have headed straight up the anchor line this weekend if I had been signifigantly cold or immobolized.

I was monitoring my discomfort throughout the dive and it never was more than an inconvenience. I was actually astonished at how well my undergarment performed when damp. Yes I know about hypothermia. Despite the occassional trickle of ventilation I've been chillier on carribean dives.

I learned a lot this weekend. I would not have been better off skipping the dive, despite the equipment snafu.

You haven't hurt my feelings. You've just reinforced my belief that last weekend's diving was an invaluable learning experience.

I started this thread to solicit tips on dealing with unfamiliar equipment so I can do better next time. Several people have offerred some very constructive suggestions which I will try next time I dive.

Originally posted by SubMariner
START with problems and they will lead to nothing but MORE problems. IOW, task loading beyond your ability to handle things.

Honestly, you would have been better off NOT diving than working with what was essentially (for you) an improperly functioning piece of equipment.
~SubMariner~

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Undergarments make a big difference in how much air you can get out of the suit at the surface... with the ones I am using I get as much out as will go at 20 fsw and keep that level of snug by adding a shot every so often as we go down. I wouldn't do that with a light undergarment though... don't need no suit hickies.

What do you do differently when you are wearing a light undergarment or no undergarment? Do you leave more air in the suit? In a light undergarment does enough air to avoid hickeys = enough air to rush to the feet and cause an uncontrolled ascent?

I practiced righting myself from a feet first uncontrolled ascent over and over again in my pool session. But I was pumping the air into my suit on purpose. I was in control. I guess I'm kind of scared that if I fill my suit with enough air to be comfy in open water it's all going to rush to my feet and get me in trouble. I'd rather be squeezed than embolized.

In fact, one of the girls I dove with this weekend got her feet above her head while we were hanging on the anchor line and couldn't get them back down again. I think the instructor ended up grabbing her feet and dragging them down.

How do you know when enough is enough? I assume that the amount of air you use to be comfy in a pool differs from the amount needed at 50 ft or 90 ft. Since I've only done 4 open water dives in a drysit I'm tending to err on the side of caution and discomfort. When you were first starting out diving dry, how long did it take until using the drysuit was truely second nature to you?

You should be able to avoid air rushing to your feet when you are using a drysuit, and the techniques you practiced as part of your course should help you deal with the problem if it happens. However, I have seen some people with drysuits that have a dump valve on the ankle (in addition to the shoulder/upper arm/chest level dump valve.) It seems like it might be a nice extra safety feature.

I think it is important that you practice using your drysuit extensively in the pool and in shallow water until you are comfortable dealing with the situation without the use of an ankle valve. (i.e., you don't want to be dependent on it, as many drysuits do not have them.) Then if you want an ankle valve, you can add one.

I dive a neoprene drysuit, which I think distributes squeeze much more evenly across my skin, so it isn't as painful and doesn't leave marks. Adding small bursts of air as you descend is probably the best way to avoid squeeze in any drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom