Ouch! Drysuit Squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
I finally got out into the ocean in a drysuit. Now my body is covered with purple marks from drysuit squeeze. Like, ouch!

After fiddling around a bit I figured out how to keep enough air in the suit to keep the crushing down to a minimal level. Can anyone suggest other ways to minimize the bruising? Is suit squeez less painful in a neoprene drysuit?

On my first dive I had trouble extending my legs because the suit squeeze had molded them into a bent position. If I don't find a way around this I might just have to go with neoprene. I really don't want to because of the extra bouyancy involved. But what is the point of diving if you're miserably uncomfortable?

:confused:

Originally posted by raviepoo
After fiddling around a bit I figured out how to keep enough air in the suit to keep the crushing down to a minimal level. Can anyone suggest other ways to minimize the bruising?
Do you have a lp hose hooked up to the suit inflator mechanism...
Are you adding air to the suit as you descend to take the squeeze off...
Where is the air escaping from...

????

Sounds like you're not putting/keeping the air in your suit.

Also, even if you do not need a lot of undies in the suit, you may want to consider wearing at least a long sleeved t-shirt and bicycle leggings. So, in the even that you DO get some suit squeeze, they will help minimize the "hickies" while you put more air in the suit.

~SubMariner~

You shoulda seen the roadmaps we'd have with the old canvas drysuits with no inflators. Used to be able to blow a little air in them by pulling the chin over the mouth, but that would blast a shot of water in too. The air would just escape the duckbill on the hood anyway, but at least it provided some relief if you stayed horizontal or head down.
Some undies will take away the pinch. Try some polypro, or even a nice slippery lycra if the water's too warm for something heavier.
It IS ok to add air to your suit as you descend, just don't get carried away & have a big bubble floating around on your back.

I dove with two different suits this weekend. On Saturday, I had a nice, new, rented OS Systems trilam suit. Either something was wrong with the hose connection or I was pressing the valve wrong because once I got under water, I could not get air to go into the suit. Voila! Suit squeeze!

On Sunday I had a million year old, borrowed, OS Systems trilam (stupidly left the rental home with my doorman and a nice guy on the boat came to my rescue with his spare suit). NO it did not fit. The neck seal was loose. Every time I turned my head I got some nice, 52 degree ventilation down my chest. It's not easy to swim without turning your head.

As I descended the dive shop owner on the deck of the boat kept yelling "Dump! Dump! I didn't think he had to defacate so I let all the air out of the suit. By the time I figured out that I could actually get away with a little more air in there without rocketing to the surface, my arms and my chest were already purple. Voila! Suit squeeze!

On the boat afterwards someone told me that I shouldn't listen to anything that anyone is yelling at me unless I'm hooked on something. But it was my first ocean dive in a wet suit. I was unsure of my weights and I guess I was a little nervous. I guess I figured that bruises were better than an uncontrolled ascent. I was afraid to let too much air get in the suit.

I think I'll do better next time. And I eagerly look forward to finally making a decision about what kind of suit to buy. I want to get my own gear and get to know it, so I'm confident about the amount of wieght that I use.

And yes, I will always dive with a little padding in the future.

As I descended the dive shop owner on the deck of the boat kept yelling "Dump! Dump! I didn't think he had to defacate so I let all the air out of the suit. By the time I figured out that I could actually get away with a little more air in there without rocketing to the surface, my arms and my chest were already purple. Voila! Suit squeeze!

This illustrates why you should NOT be in open water with a drysuit until you have had some confined water instruction from someone qualified to teach the Specialty.

For your own safety, I strongly suggest doing your "test drives" in a pool with an Instructor. Because otherwise you are just ASKING for trouble!

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by SubMariner

This illustrates why you should NOT be in open water with a drysuit until you have had some confined water instruction from someone qualified to teach the Specialty.

For your own safety, I strongly suggest doing your "test drives" in a pool with an Instructor. Because otherwise you are just ASKING for trouble!

~SubMariner~

That's what I was right in the middle of doing. Did the pool session. Did two open water dives with an instructor in a quarry. Was doing two MORE open water dives in the ocean with the same instructor to make sure I was comfortable diving with a drysuit before buying one and going out on my own. It was all about learning to use the suit. Nobody died. No one's heart was broken. Nobody got hurt. (Bruises don't count.)

I don't expect my technique to be perfect after a handful of training dives. The dives were exactly what they were supposed to be - a learning experience.

So what's the problem? You seem to be up on a soapbox flaming me for diving irresponsibly, but I'm doing everything by the book. What am I expected to learn from your post? It doesn't apply to me.

Just curious as to how some people use there exhaust valve.I use my inflator just eliminate squeeze.I usually leave my auto exhaust valve all the way counter clockwise and just equalize the suit with small bursts of air as i descend.If the suit still feels to tight ill rotate the exhaust valve a few clicks or whatever it takes to take the excessive squeeze off.I ussually dont have a problem with squeeze in my cf-200 undergarments but can get a lil uncomfy in warmer waters with a t-shirt and shorts.Just curious as how some other fellow divers do it.i have also seen some close the valve all the way off and work it manually.Seems like a pain to me.

Originally posted by lal7176
Just curious as to how some people use there exhaust valve.
Undergarments make a big difference in how much air you can get out of the suit at the surface... with the ones I am using I get as much out as will go at 20 fsw and keep that level of snug by adding a shot every so often as we go down. I wouldn't do that with a light undergarment though... don't need no suit hickies.

Diving with TriLam - I'm with Pug.

On a side note, my original dry suit instructor (PADI) explained the PADI way, but he is also a caver, so he taught me the DIR/GUE way. I was free to choose. I picked DIR.

Back
Top Bottom