Ottawa DIR Fundamentals course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin R

Reaction score
# of dives
Dan MacKay will be teaching a DIR-F course in Ottawa on Sept. 19, 20 & 21. The course will be hosted by Kanata Diving Supply. Cost is $395.00 + tax per student. There is a $30.00 US registration fee if you want to recieve the card.

Min. requirement is 3 students for the course to run with a maximum of 6. If we have enough interest, we'll try to run a second course the following week.

THIS IS NOT A TECHNICAL DIVING COURSE.

The DIR-F course is designed to improve basic dive skills and teach proper dive planning. It is also the prerequesite course for GUE's Tech I and Cave I.

More about the course can be found at

http://www.northerntechdiver.com/training/trgfundamentals.php

http://www.gue.com/classroom/standards/PDF/GUE_Standards_2003v2a.pdf

Registration is available through Kanata Diving Supply located at 215 Terrance Matthews Cres., Kanata, Ontario.
613-592-9169.

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Hope to see you there

Kevin Ripley

Will they allow me to do the class if I don't have a back inflated BC?

a backplate and wing setup from Dan.... everyone should try one...

SS

When will the open water dives be conducted?

I would like to know when I would be able to catch a return flight home...

Ron

So many questions...

The DIR Fundamentals course will cover what we (GUE trained dive teams) consider to be basic level skills (the fundamentals). These include anti silting propulsion techniques (fin kicks), buoyancy skills while task loaded, dive planning including gas management, maintaining ascent profiles, problem solving while maintaining buoyancy and dive planning from a team perspective. Some agencies consider these to be peak performance or high level skills, but we look at them as the basic building blocks of diving.

Arrangements will be made for DIR single tank set-ups to be available for the course, including backplate and wing buoyancy compensators and regs with proper length hoses. While many of the skills may be performed with "standard recreational" buoyancy compensators, they are best learned while using the more efficient harness and wing system. IMHO, while this is a typical question asked before attending the class, few students fail to realize the benefits of the more streamlined and efficient wing system that is taught on the fundamentals course.

Lectures for this particular course will be will be held at Kanata Diving Supply in Ottawa, and the dives will be held at Morrissons Quarry in Wakefield, Quebec. ( approx. 45 min drive fron KDS). The class will start at 6 pm on the Friday night and continue on Saturday morning with dives in the afternoon (same for sunday)

If you are interested in flying in, I recommend flying into Ottawa International on Friday morning and flying out on Monday afternoon or evening. Car rentals can be arranged at the airport.

Feel free to contact me for more information. If contacting me through KDS, please speak with me directly as I am the only one there who can accurately answer your questions.

Kevin Ripley
diver20@rogers.com

Kanata Diving Supply
613-592-9169

hey,

I took a DIR-F class with dan mackay in august in kingston. Let me say he is a very good instructor who knows what he is talking about. This was the best course that i have taken.

The DIR-F taught us everything from fin kicks to shooting lift bags.

It is worth the money many times over
If you have any question just ask

Congratulations to the three students who attended and passed the first DIR-fundamentals course held in Ottawa last weekend. Everyone had a great time and many lessons were learned.

Thanks to all who expressed interest, we'll be running another next year in spring or early summer.

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom