OT...Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte, nice places to live?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9driver

Registered
Reaction score
Subject says it all! I've got a friend that sells RE down there, and it's a potential spot for us to relocate. Anyone familiar with the area? The good, the bad and the ugly?

THANKS!!

And I don't usually invite everyone to our nice little area. No really, I have lived here (Port Charlotte) within the County of Charlotte for over 15 years and moved here from the next county over and I think it's great a great place.

It's really what you make of it, and what you are used to. Population is approx. 100,000 + and we get our seasonal "snowbirds" that drive us crazy but other than that nice place to live.

Besides that you'll be living in FL where everyone else dreams of living and you can go out every weekend and dive some place different.

Wildbill:cop_2:

Coming from the "correct" side of the river, over here in Punta Gorda, I can tell you that it's much better than Port Charlotte :) (you should know by the fact that Wildbill lives "over there").

We have a McDonalds (as in 1) and 8 traffic lights in each direction. If you like small town life, it's nice. I grew up here (Graduated Charlotte High School in '85), it's gotten a lot bigger (we actually have movie theatres and a mall now).

It's 3 hours to Orlando, 1 1/2 to Tampa, 2 1/2 hours to Ft. Lauderdale, and 4 hours to Key Largo, so you can plan a day trip to dive in the best areas of the state without having to deal with all of the congestion on the other coast all the time.

What line of work are you in? Being in the computer field (Systems Analyst), jobs in my industry are scarce, but Ft. Myers is easily commutable (1/2 hour drive).

Being a native of Ft Myers, FL I would highly recommend staying away from my area and since your looking at the last of the not totally ruined areas of Southwest FL, you can guess where I am looking to move north to when the time is right.

Tired of the snow and ice, will be looking at houses in the
area the first week of July (and catching a few dives); 2 more
houses to sell in the frozen North and we head South.

Goal is Thanksgiving Dinner next to our pool !!!!

Thanks guys! Sounds like a nice place to be, and full of nice people! I'm stuck here landlocked till Spring, but am starting my research early. Fortunately, my career allows me to live just about anywhere, so the local job market is not so important to me, at least not anymore so than it's effect on the economy overall.

I know it's not the Key's, but how's the diving out that way?

Indybob - pool is good.. my family usually hits the beach and we BBQ. Its one of the few days that we can go out there and its not flooded with toursits covered in oil! Soo quiet and peaceful.

9driver - that is dependant upon what your expecing to see. Off shore we have a slew of artificial reefs and ledges that make for an interesting habitat to dive around. Near shore is not to good since its a shallow sandy bottom that has a lot of wild life if your patient and not swim happy - or you can go to venice and its covered in fossils. :)

And there's lots of speafishing around, too.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom