OT - fuel cost for liveaboard in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
since the cost of the fuel is going up by the minute, will the liveaboard owner still honor their rate which the reservation was booked 6 months ahead prior to departure, thanks all

Yes, they will. As long as you have made a booing and paid the required deposit, you have a deal with the company. All they can do is change the price for new bookings.
At the moment it does not look like anybody will change the prices for the upcoming season though, also because of the intense competition.

Yes, if you are already booked and deposit paid you will not have to pay any extra should a price go up.

Steven, several operators have put their prices up in the last few weeks such as Le Mahe, Queen Scuba and I would not be at all surprised if a fuel charge is added to new bookings on some boats. Anyone already booked will not have to pay any extra.

Our policy is you pay the price agreed on booking, even if it goes up OR DOWN. Did I say down? Yes, this is possible, as some boats have Baht or Euro prices and we advertise in US$, so the price in dollars may go down if the exchange rates change.

Er, Tommer - have you booked something already? Why not ask the people you booked with?

Queen Scuba has not changed the price since they came up with their new schedule. There has been a price change, but that was simply for the new schedule. Le Mahe did raise their prices with 10 US$ for a 4 day/night trip, forgot about that one.

I don't expect price to go up significantly especially for Similans/Richeliue as the distance is not huge. However, Burma trip is probably going to be a different story. One boat told me that an average 5 days Burma trip requires something like 13,000 liters of diesel. Even more if they go all the way north to Tower Rock.

Steven, Queen Scuba most certainly has changed their prices, as they had only a Baht price before and now only a dollar price, which works out higher than the Baht price, this was agreed on July 20th, PLUS they have added the 50 U$ fuel charge on all bookings made after August 1st. You have the old prices on your web site.

SSRA, one Burma operator is thinking of running Similan trips instead of Burma this season, apart from trips where they already have bookings, as the fuel costs are making it difficult.

The fuel surcharge is no joke. The price has all but doubled in a year since the government lifted it's fuel subsidy. So things like boats and planes are getting expensive to run!

Sunrise:
SSRA, one Burma operator is thinking of running Similan trips instead of Burma this season, apart from trips where they already have bookings, as the fuel costs are making it difficult.

I would not be surprised. I booked a Burma trip for February and already paid for it. Recently the boat operator did mention that they may ask for something extra to cover the rising fuel cost since I got an excellent deal from them.
In this case, I don't mind too much as the problem is global (well, as long as it is reasonable). I have not heard yet how much extra it might cost yet but I may end up going to Yap instead of the planned Burma trip (having expensive friend is way way worse than rising fuel cost unfortunately :) )

Sunrise:
The fuel surcharge is no joke. The price has all but doubled in a year since the government lifted it's fuel subsidy. So things like boats and planes are getting expensive to run!

Really? I am very surprise to hear that the price has doubled.
Without the goverment subsidy, diesel price went up just over 100% (if I remember correctly, from 8-9 bahts to just under 20 bahts per liter).
I have absolutely no knowledge what the percentage of operating cost is fuel but double in fuel price should not double the price overall.
I may be wrong here but something does not sound right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom