Osprey Transporter 90 or Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler XT 32"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to upgrade my scuba luggage from a rolling duffle to one with a telescoping handle and that can stand up on its own to make it easier to maneuver. I'm leaning towards the Osprey 90L Transporter because it is very light. I'm wondering about the capacity, though. The Transporter 120 has dimensions that are too big for the main airlines I fly, so don't want to go that route.

The Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler XT 32" specs list greater capacity (120 L but with smaller dimensions than the Osprey bag, which is weird) but also weighs almost 2 pounds more. It also has a couple more external pockets, which can be nice. I have another EC bag that has held up well, but is too small for dive trips. However, I couldn't find this one mentioned here and wonder if anyone has experience with the bag for scuba gear.

Prices are about equivalent, so that's not much of a factor.

That one had dimensions too big for the airlines I fly most (62 max inches when the W x H x L are added up). But there is a 30-inch version of that bag. It is also a bit heavier--same weight as the EC bag at 9 lbs 7 oz (vs. 7.5 lbs for the Osprey). Cheaper though with the sale color, so might be worth considering...

Just got the transporter 90 for the same reason you did. Still meets airline max luggage limits. So far very happy with it. Rolls great. Stands upright very well (way better than my old Oakley bag ever did). Pushing the 70# weight as well. I know other divers who run the Osprey roller bags as well.

Don't have experience with Eagle Creek, can't reference that one.

That one had dimensions too big for the airlines I fly most (62 max inches when the W x H x L are added up). But there is a 30-inch version of that bag. It is also a bit heavier--same weight as the EC bag at 9 lbs 7 oz (vs. 7.5 lbs for the Osprey). Cheaper though with the sale color, so might be worth considering...
i love the hard case-back for peace of mind. I have dragged ours across sandy beaches, Napoleonic cobblestones and the non-existent streets of Karachi, Pakistan. Its like walking through a puddle in waterproof boots while everyone else is standing at the corner in slippers. Plus the lifetime guarantee.

I wonder if that's why it's on sale--maybe they were selling fewer than expected due to customers preferring bags that don't incur airline oversize bag surcharges?

I wonder if that's why it's on sale--maybe they were selling fewer than expected due to customers preferring bags that don't incur airline oversize bag surcharges?
Do airlines charge for an oversize bag? It is more than 5 years since traveling with a larger than 158cm (62 inches) but was never charged for the size. The weight was the problem as I can fill a smaller than 158cm bag to 23kg (50 lbs), so there was no advantage with the bigger bag.

Do airlines charge for an oversize bag? It is more than 5 years since traveling with a larger than 158cm (62 inches) but was never charged for the size. The weight was the problem as I can fill a smaller than 158cm bag to 23kg (50 lbs), so there was no advantage with the bigger bag.
Respect. I pack like I'm playing Tetris, too.

Most airlines do publish maximum sizes and some do charge an oversized bag fee for bags larger than the maximum. It's possible that some airlines are more strict than others in enforcing their own oversized bag rules. I have not looked up any airlines' oversized bag rules, but @potato cod apparently has. I wasn't aware that any manufacturer offered rolling duffels or other common configurations that would be considered oversized by any airline, so this is good to know. I'd rather not take chances with an airline trying to charge me an oversized bag fee.

Okay, I often fly Delta, and here's Delta's rule: Excess & Overweight Baggage Policy | Delta Air Lines. Scroll down to OVERSIZED BAG. A $200 surcharge for a bag 63 "linear inches" or more (where "linear inches" means length+width+height).

Most airlines do publish maximum sizes and some do charge an oversized bag fee for bags larger than the maximum. It's possible that some airlines are more strict than others in enforcing their own oversized bag rules. I have not looked up any airlines' oversized bag rules, but @potato cod apparently has. I wasn't aware that any manufacturer offered rolling duffels or other common configurations that would be considered oversized by any airline, so this is good to know. I'd rather not take chances with an airline trying to charge me an oversized bag fee.

Okay, I often fly Delta, and here's Delta's rule: Excess & Overweight Baggage Policy | Delta Air Lines. Scroll down to OVERSIZED BAG. A $200 surcharge for a bag 63 "linear inches" or more (where "linear inches" means length+width+height).
That 62 inches max is pretty standard. 63+ will cost you.

Back
Top Bottom