Orpheus/Palm Island QSD Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air One

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys

I plan to go to OZ next August.
I may hire a yacht for 5 or 6 days from Townsville to visit the palm island group including Orpheus and Palm Island.

Does anyone know good places for snorkeling.
There is a resort and a dive center on Orpheus, did someone dive with them ?

Also I'd like to hear about Palm Island, I've read everything and anything about this island including the guiness book's record of the most dangerous place in the world if you except the war zones ! :shakehead: I'd like to read someone who really went there.

Thanks
(I have allready posted on diveoz)

I used to live in Townsville and have been to Palm Island a number of times. The locals are friendly for the most part. Just leave the attitude at home and you should be fine :) Most of the problems there stem from racial tensions between the locals (almost all Aboriginals) and the cops (almost all white guys). There's still a few niggling issues, but nothing like what it was like back in 2004 around the time of the riots. You have to be aware that there are alcohol restrictions on Palm Island though (maximum amount of alcohol a person can have is limited to 11.25 litres (1 x 30 can carton) of light or mid-strength beer). They enforce this pretty strictly, as much of the violence you mentioned has in the past been fueled by alcohol. It's a beautiful island though!

I'm going up to Orpheus for Christmas actually with Remote Area Dive before heading up for my liveaboard trip in Cairns. Happy to write a report on that when I get back.

Thanks a lot.
I'm happy to see that the local people have another point of view. I talked about this Island with some friends from Melbourne and Sydney : the only thing they tell me is " DON'T GO THERE ! this could endanger your family"

The attitude is useless when you travel so I use to leave it at home:wink:

The alcohol could be an issue, We may have some aboard is this also forbidden ?

Let us know about Orpheus when you'll come back.
I'll also be happy to read your GBR report

The alcohol could be an issue, We may have some aboard is this also forbidden ?

Palm Island alcohol restrictions

Take from that what you will.

As for the local issues...I guess I'd just say it's hard to shake the reputation after having the problems plastered all over the mass media for years. I wouldn't be overly concerned by it. Take common sense precautions that you would anywhere else. Tourists have never been the target of the violence on Palm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom