Orlando Lake Cleanup Event - ROSTER and info!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....What with those dreaded amoebas and all.....

Nice, lets put this rumor to rest right now. Expect water temps in the low 70's if we're lucky. Your amoebas will need a lake temp of 83 or above. I pull water samples for my lake and submit them each month under the OC - WAV program.

I would be more than happy to pull samples and submit them to OC - WAV 2 weeks prior to the dive and get results. Your post is sensational and attempts to derail an incredible and great effort by the dive community to keep volunteers out of the water. :no:

Will you promise here and now to dive or atleast provide shore support for this event?

Last edited:
Besides, we all kill a few brain cells from alcohol... why should we be selfish and not want to feed some of them to the amoebas? :drunks:

Hmmm... if undead zombie humans eat brains, and live amoebas eat brains, what do undead zombie amoebas eat? :gator:

>*< Fritz

FYI, an Orange County Biologist stopped by for fills today. He does the water testing in the area, says the waters in Winter Park (and elsewhere) are safe from pollutants but we should always consider the amoebas. He said that they can be found in one small patch of a lake and nowhere else on that lake. They can be in any of Florida's waters at anytime. The amoebas strive in 80F+ degree waters, and can be 'neutralized' after a dive by rinsing your throat and nostrils with saline (salt water).

Johnoly, if you could get samples analyzed before the dives that would be great!

I stopped at the Orange County WAV on Thursday (2/19) to drop off my lake samples. I took a printed copy of your post and set it up with them so I can pull the lake samples and testing and they will test them before our dives.

On my lake, I have a dock that I can lower a bucket and pull sample water in sterile containers. I'll visit each of the lakes before hand and try to find sample testing sites that I can get a lake sample from. OC - WAV is very supportive of this testing and event.

If one of us pulls a submerged stolen trashed vehicle from the lake(s) do we get kudo's for the most tonage of garbage?

If one of us pulls a submerged stolen trashed vehicle from the lake(s) do we get kudo's for the most tonage of garbage?

I'd say yes. But you're probably going to end up sharing the glory.

Ken

I was thinking the same thing.

Are we gonna need a bigger boat?

I'm working with my girlfriend Gaby who is the person putting this thing together for the city, we want to come up with a "prize" we give to the diver who pulls up the most interesting or strange object. We are looking on spending maybe $30 bucks on something. Any ideas for a cool prize?
Some thoughts we have had is maybe a gift card to Dayo Scuba or maybe a gift card to a restaurant. Suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom