Orlando Lake Cleanup Event - ROSTER and info!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyberfed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sticky Please

The City of Winter Park's lake clean up event is scheduled for:
Saturday May 2nd
Co Sponsors include Dayo Scuba Dayo Scuba - Orlando Florida - Open Water, Cavern, Cave and Technical Scuba Training and Diving - Main Page and ScubaBoard

Fire-rescue will be checking up on us in case in anything. If its too many people, the City might want to limit the amount of people going in.

As of right now, the City might close boating for residents but there is the Winter Park scenic boat tour that goes around the lakes on the hour.

Here are some new information on the LAKES:

- Lake Virginia: It can be reach by shore through Rollins College. It also has, Dinky Dock for boat ramp but it has LIMITED PARKING.

- Lake Osceola: Easier to reach by boat. Groups who will clean here will need a boat and must leave from Dinky Dock. It can also be reached by a private entrace but that is still to be determined.

- Lake Maitland: By shore through Kraft azalea garden or by boat through the boat dock at Maitland. I am still talking with the City of maitland for permits.

- Lake Mizzell: The clearest water and the least amount of motor boat traffic. Can be reached by boat through Dinky Dock.

*** FOR THOSE BRINGING THEIR BOATS *** I need to know the type of boat and the Florida registration number in advance. That way we can exempt you from the CityÃÔ user fee for the day. If they already have a pass for their boat, then that is okay too.

the event is still scheduled for Saturday, May 2nd however time might vary. If we can retrict private boats, then the event will be from 9am - 12pm. If not then it will be from 7am - 10am.

Dayo Scuba will be having a BBQ after the dive(s) at its shop. They are also offering free AIR fills that day to divers doing the clean up. More details to come.

No alcohol or drugs at any of the dive sites period
Common sense please..don't litter, ect..we may get local news media coverage too
ALL divers must show proof of certification (AOW,CAVERN,CAVE or higher)
ALL divers will sign a liability release
YOU DIVE AT YOUR OWN RISK

ROSTER SO FAR:
DIVERDANFOWLER
git-r-dun diver
deepn0va
Oceanus
NetDoc (Co Sponsor)
divedivedivecfl
truck1
scubafool
jridg
Dayo Scuba (Co Sponsor) 10+divers
Scubastud16
Johnoly
sidneydiver
Bob
siikik
DiveInFlorida
I Dive
Scuba_Jenny
ltw123
Scuba_Dad
Fox-Cousteau
Orlando Eric
Briny Liney
divedude1962
scubakevdm
ntburchf
UCF Dive Club -- unknown amt of divers at this time

Suggested (and highly recommended) dive gear:
Gloves
Trash bag (aka lobster bag or something like that)
At least two lights
If you have a dive flag bring it just in case we need them
If diving Nitrox please know your MOD and don't exceed it (though unlikely to happen in these lakes)
Knife or scissors - entanglement is very possible please be prepared to deal with that underwater

Great. Question though.

Have you decided on a lake or are we going to do more than one lake at the same time? If you have enough divers, (and not knowing the size of the lakes involved) would there be a possibility of doing a second lake simultaneously?

Also add Blondeambition as surface support please.

I am working with my girlfriend Gaby who is organizing the event to work out the details. Yes there will be multiple dive sites at the same time.
We are thinking of possibly all meeting at Dayo Scuba and create groups from there.
Stay tuned we are working on a plan for that :)

I am working with my girlfriend Gaby who is organizing the event to work out the details. Yes there will be multiple dive sites at the same time.
We are thinking of possibly all meeting at Dayo Scuba and create groups from there.
Stay tuned we are working on a plan for that :)

No problem. Thank You.

Add Hermit Crab for surface support please. :)

Well, I dont really like diving in lakes especially around here in Florida. But if you guys need another boat, I will volunteer mine and take 4 divers out to wherever we need to be. Just let me know. I will bring a cooler full of soft drinks, water, and juices and a boat with a dive ladder full of gas and oil.

EDIT:
Just talked to Tom at Dayo, I am in. I can carry 4 or 5 divers depending on number of tanks they need each. I have a few extra tanks if anyone needs something.

If work doesn't pull me away,
and the lakes don't get too warm.
I will make myself available for this event.
(Will anyone be able to post temps
as the date approaches?)
I know alot of people think "cold water" sux,
But warm water can be quite hazardous.
Don't want to stir up the bottoms of warm lakes.
What with those dreaded amoebas and all.

Divedude, the lakes will be split up in such a way that some will be shore dives, others boat dives. Also depends on how many boats we get :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom