Orlando area dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think for cheap gear that runs pretty well Divers Outlet/Direct (now World Watersports) on I-drive would be your best bet - they also dont pressure you like the people who own their own shops, however they dont do nitrox fills.
Other shops worth considering (i can make comment on them, but i will leave that up to you to make up your own mind by visiting them):
Oceans Unlimited - Altamonte Springs (nice troop, just need a little more organization)
ScubaQuest - Altamonte and FL Mall (seemed ok to me)
ScubaWorld - SR50/Old Cheney and Aloma Ave/417 (a bit pricey, not willing to cut a bulk deal on large purchases)
Northwest Divers - SR50/417 (nice small shop, better under new management team, lots of trips)
Orlando Scuba Center - 436/Redbug & SR50/Bumby (i was scared by their attitude and prices)
Dive Station - Edgewater/Par (did OW with them, havent gone back since, nuff said)
Extasea - Kirkman near Universal i think (havent had much dealing with them, seemed ok)
C&N Divers - 441 near Mt Dora (a bit out of your way, but nice shop/people)
Kissimmee Pro Dive - 192/441 (a bit out of your way i think, nice selection of gear and trips)
Scuba Diversions - 17-92/north of 436 (havent used them, but hear good things)
Another found in web search, but dont know at all:
Dayo Scuba

Again i will state that these are my personal opinions, i think there are other stores as well around, but these are what i could find and have visited myself, you are best to check them out and see what your impression/instincts tell you.

I decided not to do any further training with any of these stores, just use them for gear and fills when i need them. I use GDI (he is a member of SB) for my dive training - he is taking me slowly but surely towards cavern and then cave afterwards, he travels around and is a good instructor, again your choice who you choose to do any further certs with.

I have used the following:

Divers Outlet (now World Water Sports) on International Drive
lots of stock, nice selection, decent prices, knowledgeable sales staff, good prices
www.diversdirect.com

Northwest Divers on Colonial
Standard LDS selection, standard stock, very knowledgeable sales staff, SSI (if you are looking for them), seems to be a little expensive, expect to wait about a week for many purchases (standard fare for LDS)
www.nwdivers.com

Scuba World on Colonial
Nice selection, good deal of stock, very knowledgeable sales staff, I am still fairly new to diving, but of the shops this is already one of my favorite, good prices (and they do not just show you the most expensive things they have)
www.scubaworld.net

Scuba Diversions on 17-92
Nice selection, good deal of stock (usually), very good prices, definitely one of my stops when looking for new equipment
www.scubadiversions.com

Don't fill anything other than AL80's and my PST130, so I can't answer that question. Call Kevin.

RobG:
Thanks. I stopped by the one near the Florida Mall today. The guys were nice and friendly in the begining. I felt a little uncomfortable when we started talking about gear and prices.

yeah, it's ironic. They're telling you to trust them - yet their pay depends on how much you buy. Kind of a conflict of interests, eh?

I agree with one of the other posters. The ONLY place I haven't felt that was at Divers Direct on I-Drive. In fact, the sales guy actually talked me OUT of the more expensive mask I had my heart set on. He had me try on every mask in the store until we found a better fitting pair for about 30% less. And like alot of newbie divers, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a cool, massive, shark-gutting monster-knife, and I had cash in hand and was ready to buy it. He talked me out of it.. told me in 500 dives, he's never had to pull his knife (tool). He suggested a much less expensive pair of shears instead. Won't stab myself, my BC, or any marine life.
It's crazy - for the prices, you'd expect the gear or the staff to be useless, but I haven't found that to be the case so far.
Then again, I'm a newbie too, so what do I know?

"I am just getting into this sport and don't want to spend thousands of dollars to get into water."

Rent, rent, rent, and even rent your buddie's.
Pay him for the wear and tear and take his out too.
Rent from different shops that carry different rental brands.
Try as many different brands as you can before you buy.
IGNORE the high-pressure salesman, and IGNORE the Dive Training magazine that has "BUY YOUR OWN GEAR ASAP" plastered across the back of every issue.

Like all hobbies - ease into it until you know what type of diving you like, what kind of gear you prefer, and how much you'll actually be diving or not. I know someone who the salesman pounced on right after OW check-out. Talked 'em into the most expensive gear package in the store, and the most expensive computer on the market. It does 326 things they don't even understand nor are trained for. And because of an inner ear problem that surfaced a few dives later, they're not even sure they're going to continue regular diving.
But when they DO that dive once a year - they'll have the most expensive computer on the boat! lol.

flcracker:
also in ocoee use florida scuba connection in winter garden,good people there

I occasionally get fills from Florida Scuba COnnection since they are less than 1 block from where I live. And they have a bunch of group trips all the time, and a little shop dive club. I suggest that you try them since they are in Winter Garden and you are near Ocoee. PM me if you have any questions since we are practically neighbors.

I don't do business with any other dive shops in the Orlando area. I have run into too many rude, arrogant, and ignorant dive shop employees. As much as I like to support my local dive shop (LDS) I often buy things on line (like my Apeks regs I got from www.diveinn.com) and I also frequent LDS outside of the Orlando area. Like Extreme Exposure in High Springs, Spruce Creek Scuba in Daytona, Dive Outpost in Luraville, Fill Express in Pompano just to name a few.

quimby:
I'd second that comment

I'll put in a third vote for Sucba Diversions, Kevin runs a good shop and I always got good fills there.

With a fill card, you can get $7 fills at Kissimmee Pro Dive, they are partial pressure fills. Same price, even when I fill my HP120's

While they seemed a little on the pricey side, ExtaSea has taken time with me concerning a relatively small purchase on more than one occasion. They really seemed to be concerned with selling me what I needed, rather than what would make them the most money. I don't mind paying a little more for that. That is just my mileage, however.

I would try North West Divers Of Orlando. Great Instructors and great staff. Good pricing too

RobG:
I am new to the Orlando area and just recently passed my NAUI scuba diver and NITROX while in the military. I am so glad that I found this site. I have been just sucking up all of the info that I can.

Can some of the Orlando gang point out some of the dive shops to use or avoid in town. I live near Ocoee but I work in Winter Park so a dive to find a good shop will be OK with me.

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Congrats on your new certification. You will find lots of information on this site that is helpful. My shop recommendation goes to NorthWest Divers on SR East 50 (near Greenway Ford/ and the Greenway). They are a smaller shop with a great, knowledgable staff. They have a variety of different options for equipmment with package deals or sold separately. They run lots of great trips throughout the year for both beginner divers through advanced divers. They also put together a few international trips as well that are reasonably priced each year. They have a great dive club that meets monthly as well to get aquainted with other local area divers. There phone number is 407-658-9464 or check them out at www.nwdivers.com.

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom