Oriskinay Diver mishap 8/19 with 8/21 update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, the word on Sunday around the P'cola diving community was "post dive heart attack."
No determination as to whether it may have been dive related had been made, but the general feeling was that the unfortunate fellow had had a good dive with a benign profile and that it was just his time.
I've had many cardiologists tell me "the first visible symptom of heart disease is usually sudden death."
Under any circumstances my thoughts and prayers are with the family; I hope he had an absolutely wonderful last dive.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
FWIW, the word on Sunday around the P'cola diving community was "post dive heart attack."
No determination as to whether it may have been dive related had been made, but the general feeling was that the unfortunate fellow had had a good dive with a benign profile and that it was just his time.
I've had many cardiologists tell me "the first visible symptom of heart disease is usually sudden death."
Under any circumstances my thoughts and prayers are with the family; I hope he had an absolutely wonderful last dive.
Rick
Sure, but like any excercise, diving could have brought it on as opposed to resting on a couch. We dont need to fear diving being linked to deaths, we just need to understand it.

Reason goes out the window when it comes to your families fears. It is the same conversation I have when I fly for business. I can show my daughter the driving versus flying statistics and it doesn't matter. When it comes to reason I just say, all life has risks...I would rather have a risk doing something I love then playing it easy with something that bores me!

This is from the WEAR TV 3 website. This is our local news station in Pensacola.

Autopsy Canceled Due To Divers Medical History

A man who took a trip down to the Oriskany....apparently did *not die from diving complications. 55 year-old Chester Alan Robinson died Saturday afternoon, after diving near the Oriskany, off the shore of Pensacola..The Medical Examiner's Office will not perform an autopsy on Robinson, however, because of his medical history. Family members say, a stint was placed in his heart in February....after two heart attacks..And Robinson's wife says he recently stopped taking his blood thinning medication

Tell your family that you will not put yourself in situations of high risk. You have training and will continue to get more training. I will have the best gear and not do dives that are beyond my skills. Most of my family dives, daughter has seen to many shark weeks. We never do a dive past anyones ability. You must show them that this is realy a safe sport. Most dive accidents should not of happened, diveing beyond ability or ignoring set standards. Good luck on your education of the fam. one more thing stay in shape.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family

MBT must have pulled the thread about the death. I didnt see anything related to it on their forum. Which makes sense because of the inaccurate reporting by the media and the "rumor mill"

From this mornings paper.

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060822/NEWS01/608220329/1006

Death was not diving related
Heart attack claimed life of Oriskany diver

Amy Sowder
@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

The Pensacola man who died Saturday minutes after diving the Oriskany suffered from heart problems, and his death was not dive-related, his wife and a medical official said Monday.

Chester "Chet" Alan Robinson, 55, was the owner of KAOZ, a North W Street shop that specializes in tattoos and body piercings, and had been diving for more than 40 years.

Lyndia Robinson, the victim's wife, and a co-owner of the shop, said the death was not because of a diving accident.

"It was a beautiful dive, but his heart just couldn't take it," she said. "This was not Oriskany-related at all."

Jamie Thompson, an investigator for the Medical Examiner's Office, said Robinson suffered cardiac arrest after boarding a recreational boat and removing his scuba gear about 1:30 p.m. She said an autopsy was not performed.

"He was an avid diver for over 40 years," Thompson said. "He was at the wrong place at the wrong time. He probably shouldn't have been diving."

The Oriskany is a decommissioned aircraft carrier that was sunk in the Gulf of Mexico about 24 miles southeast of Pensacola on May 17. So far, there have been no fatal diving accidents.

Thompson said she had learned that Robinson had a stent placed in his heart to relieve blockage in February and recently had stopped taking his medication because he didn't like how it made him feel. His doctor had advised him not to dive, she said.

Robinson, who was with two companions, complained of chest pain and then collapsed on the boat, Thompson said. One friend drove the boat back toward Pensacola while the other contacted the Coast Guard.

Despite CPR attempts, Robinson remained unresponsive, Thompson said.

A U.S. Coast Guard boat met the boat, and Robinson was pronounced dead at the Coast Guard station at Pensacola Naval Air Station.

During the weekend, agencies gave conflicting reports about which one was handling the investigation.

The Oriskany is in federal waters, which the U.S. Coast Guard regulates, but Saturday and Sunday, Coast Guard officers said Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was in charge of the investigation.

Commission spokesman Stan Kirkland said Monday his agency doesn't investigate scuba diving deaths. The local Coast Guard spokesman did not return calls Monday.

Scuba diving shops in the area have been flooded with calls from concerned people nationwide, said Jim Phillips, part owner of MBT Divers on Navy Boulevard.

"The rumors have been swirling," he said. "Just like with any dive, as long as you take your certification courses and follow instructions, you should be fine. Unfortunately, Chet's time came up, and it happened to be while he was diving."

It's still diving related. If he hadn't been exerting himself diving he probably would not have had a heart attack at that time.

Guess it depends how you define "dive related". I would not call it dive related because to me that means diving was the reason for a persons premature death. All reports indicate it was not diving that "caused" the death but a heart condition, not taking proper medication, and not following a doctors orders. Now, I am not being critical of him because he lived his life as he wanted to and I might do the same thing in his situation....if I do, please don't blame diving. If someone is cutting grass and has a heart attack is that a Cutting Grass related death?

Those of us here on the NW Florida coast might be a little sensitive to all this since there has been a great deal of discussions for the last few years about how safe diving on the Oriskany will be. I hope the family finds comfort in the fact that according to our local paper, he was doing something he has loved doing the last 40 years, diving.

e=crosing]It's still diving related. If he hadn't been exerting himself diving he probably would not have had a heart attack at that time.[/quote]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom