Oriskinay Diver mishap 8/19 with 8/21 update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

""It was diving related," Smith said.

However, Stan Kirkland, regional spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, said the man was back in the boat from the dive when he became ill so he was not considered to have suffered a diving accident."

Why do people who don't know what they are talking about say things??

And Fish and Wildlife have jurisdiction??

Otter:
Why do people who don't know what they are talking about say things??

And Fish and Wildlife have jurisdiction??

I think a lot of the problem lies in the reporters. They don't understand what they are reporting, so the piece together statements in such a manner that makes no sense.

My condolences to his family, regardless of the cause. Not a way one would like to end a day of diving.

A far as the reporting, much better to make your own conclusions and get the scoop out then to getting facts out. Just like a large cable news station that reported on the Sago mine accident months ago. Someone said the miners were 2 miles underground so the station had a graphic of a vertical tunnel 2 miles deep. In the same graphic, they had PA mine accident the year before showing a accident distance 200-300 feet straight down but an angled tunnel that RAN for a couple miles. And the anchorman was even comparing the 2 accidents saying no way to drill air holes that deep.

Wonder what ever happened to the basics of news - facts about who, what, where, why, when.

When you talk about jurisdiction in this case, it's irrelevant regarding the care of the diver. The News Journal was just explaining why didn't have the whole story. With HIPAA regs, it's almost impossible to get medical information.

Prior to the Oriskany being scuttled, Escambia County (our county) held one large meeting and invited every branch of law enforcement, including both counties, state police, city police, FWC, Coast Guard, and the Navy. They also invited every hospital along the gulf coast, and of course all the professional dive operators.

Fortunately 99% of the people invited did attend. I'm not sure if they were invited, but the press did not attend.

During this long meeting, we discussed and arrived at protocols to facilitate the care of injured divers. These protocols specified what to do at any given time with an injured diver--who responds to the call, where you take patient (do you wait for the coast guard chopper, or run in and hope to meet the chopper?) The protocols were then emailed to everyone at the meeting.

One dive operator recently suffered a bent DM, and fortunately for the DM everything we discussed at the safety meeting went according to plan.

Unfortunately, this patient was given a TOD as soon as he landed, so all we can do now is wait for the autopsy. It's premature to speculate on what happened. The guy could've had a heart attack strolling through Barnes and Nobles. But it does underscore that the Oriskany can be a dangerous dive. With strong currents, overhead enviroments, dazzling visibility, and depths that can narc the hell out of you, the dangers can add up quickly.

Everyone at the meeting knew it was going to happen. We just didn't know when. The fact that it happend 3 mos after the scuttling surprised us. We all thought it would've been sooner.

My condolences to his wife, his children, and his friends.

There's a thread on MBT about the incident. Aparently the media has it all wrong and is exploiting the Oriskany Accident headline. According to MBT, the family of the diver has stated the diver had a heart attack and a history of heart conditions.

scubapolly:
I think a lot of the problem lies in the reporters. They don't understand what they are reporting, so the piece together statements in such a manner that makes no sense.

What's to understand? A person died after diving the Oriskany. They were simply trying to give boths opinions from the officials and show that as of now, nobody really knows what happened. I think there are a lot of people that don't understand what happened. Included pretty much everyone on this board.

The headline on Pensecola's website states a person died after diving the Oriskany, not much different than the title of this thread and yet nobody has a problem with that.

It's a shame and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Medical problems are consistent with diving. Whats the big deal here? People die diving all the time. The Orisikany didnt cause this, although diving may have caused this, but the guys health for sure caused it.

GLENFWB:
I only mention all this cause my son and wife are watching this and looking at me since I just got my OWC. My son begins to tell me I shouldn't be diving.

When they see the news report on traffic deaths do they look at you and tell you that you shouldn't be driving?

Back
Top Bottom