Oriskinay Diver mishap 8/19 with 8/21 update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I heard last night on Channel 3 news that a diver had to be air lifted by the Coast Guard after diving the Oriskany. Anyone heard any details? Was it a diving problem or a Heart/health issue not related to diving?

UPDATE: The Pensacola Channel 3 news led there newscast tonight 8-20, with this incident. Autopsy is being done tomorrow to determine cause of death. Man was on a private boat while diving. Also, the second story was about a 20 yr old? guy in Destin who collapsed after diving in Destin and has been in a coma three weeks. I only mention all this cause my son and wife are watching this and looking at me since I just got my OWC. My son begins to tell me I shouldn't be diving.

BTW, The cause of the boys problem was a hereditary defect in his lung which would have been discovered with a lung xray according to the news report.

Condolences to the family

I knew it was only a matter of time. Too bad it had to happen, though.

Not too much to go on - here is a link to an article.

You can have a Heart Attack on a golf course too! Does that become a golfing death?

True, but it is easier to get medical attention on a golf course. To me, there's a difference.

I'll be interested to see what the ME has to say on this one.

Thanks, sounds like there is still a lot up in the air. Sorry to hear about it though. It will give the doom and gloom people something to say "I told you so" about.

That sucks, but its not all that suprising... I believe this is the first death on the Oriskany.?

I'd like to know who made the determination that it was a heart attack. Maybe it was a stroke caused by a thrombus or maybe an aneurysm. Maybe it was pulmonary embolism. Maybe it was AGE. So many things it could have been some of which are dive related ans some which are not. There seems to be nothing but confusion amongst the various agencies involved with the incident.

Back
Top Bottom